Proboscidean humerus

garyc

I dug up this distal (I think) humerus today on the Brazos River. I wasn’t sure what I had when I first started digging. By the second picture I knew it was something special. Is there any way to differentiate between mammoth and mastodon humerus? @Harry Pristis @Uncle Siphuncle  @fossilus I’m happy to provide additional pics if needed.

C7AF7399-BBB3-4997-92B1-2F6AC68D87A6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Not that time.  

8 minutes ago, garyc said:

Thanks @JohnJ. Wish I was able to get the proximal also like you did. Was yours a Brazos find?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

FOTM entry? It has a high chance of winning, as there are no other entries so far.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

High grade preservation!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

@JohnJMine does look a lot like yours. Are you proposing that mine is definitively mammoth? I simply don’t know if there are some subtle differences between mammoth and mastodon humeri 

I'm fairly confident this is a left humerus from a mastodont.  I looked at the comparison images in OSTEOLOGY FOR THE ARCHAEOLOGIST by Stanley J. Olsen.  There are subtle differences in contours between the two elephantoids, the most significant being the sweep of the curve into the shaft from the proximal end of the lateral supracondylar ridge.

For future reference, the most useful images are at right angles to the bone, like your image number two.  That way, orientation is less a problem for the viewer.

• I found this Informative 5

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Gary, sorry for the late response, my wife and I were in Galveston, we came in as Delta moved off. Amazing number of shells and some fossils. But that's another story.

I think that Harry is right on. Congrats on another good find!

@fossilus hey Ron, Thanks! I went down to Surfside after the last couple of storms. Found a couple of armadillo and 1 glyptodon osteoderm and a nice bison tooth. Did you have much luck with fossils?

1 hour ago, garyc said:

@fossilus hey Ron, Thanks! I went down to Surfside after the last couple of storms. Found a couple of armadillo and 1 glyptodon osteoderm and a nice bison tooth. Did you have much luck with fossils?

I found my first 2 dolphin vertebrae, a cervical and a thoracic, both seem to be fossilized. 

Some stuff that might be sub-fossils. A horse proximal phalanx and a very large bovine vertebrae, probably bison (?), but both could be just as well victims of the 1900 hurricane that just got reworked. Also some sea turtle material.

• I found this Informative 1