Madagascar Theropod Tooth?

BonuFrailman

Hi all,

I bought this tooth recently on an auction site and was wondering what you folks think.

The seller bought it at Tucson Fossil show but lost the ID card with the Formation on it, so the locale is missing.

Info on the tooth:

1 inch long

Supposedly from Madagascar

FE381FE2-9DFC-4DEB-AB21-028F93579608.jpeg

048AE95D-D7CA-4D3C-AB20-B13C915CC454.jpeg

E7FB93AD-B62C-4D5D-9894-C959261AC372.jpeg

53385778-1140-42D1-BD76-DD6A5A8E851E.jpeg

2B6C4584-F225-4A89-9DA5-2675D5BBF4A3.jpeg

8F3FAE2D-D61B-473F-82B9-F247A1F7AD83.jpeg

57CB03A8-8282-4FBC-A256-EC73E8AE20B8.jpeg

9C123121-972B-40A6-9CBA-34AE1B330797.jpeg

Without a locality its an indeterminate theropod.  Dinosaur deposits in Madagascar can be from mid jurassic to Late Cretaceous 

• I found this Informative 2

I believe I was the one who traded this tooth to that seller... It is a theropod from Bissekty formation, Uzbekistan.

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

46 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

I believe I was the one who traded this tooth to that seller... It is a theropod from Bissekty formation, Uzbekistan.

Darn I should’ve posted it here beforehand. Good to know.

53 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

Resembles a Carchardontosauridae tooth a bit. Were you able to ID it when you had it?

@BonuFrailman do you see any wrinkling near serrations? Don’t beat yourself up on this tooth, I particularly like the quality of it :) 

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Resembles a Carchardontosauridae tooth a bit. Were you able to ID it when you had it?

@BonuFrailman do you see any wrinkling near serrations? Don’t beat yourself up on this tooth, I particularly like the quality of it :) 

I’m afraid it hasn’t arrived yet. I’ll update you when it arrives, and thanks for the kind words friend.:)

The shape and size of the tooth suggests it might be the tyrannosauroid Timurlengia but when you receive the tooth would suggest a serration count to see if it supports that assignment 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 9:00 PM, Runner64 said:

I see wrinkling near the serrations. I found a previous listing of this tooth from the auction site that listed this could indeed be a carcharodontosauridae tooth. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 3.30.47 PM.png

On 10/12/2020 at 4:02 AM, Troodon said:

The shape and size of the tooth suggests it might be the tyrannosauroid Timurlengia but when you receive the tooth would suggest a serration count to see if it supports that assignment 

Rookie question, but how do I do a serration count? I don't have a microscope, only a loupe.

The most important item in a identification is a solid provenance without it its very difficult to identify.  Carcharodontosaurids are not known from the Bissekty fm.  

The attached illustration shows you where to take the density measurements.   A loupe and scale may work it just harder to see and count.   Another approach is to take a closeup photo of the carina next to a scale and blow it up.    

5f935f9a7dafa_TheropodtoothID.thumb.jpg.10b9bd50aef4358e7a550e06f4ba4b8c.jpg