Found this thick bone piece in a new jersey cretaceous creek and wonder if its possible to maybe id since one side has a distinct rough texture while the other is flatter and striated, I would guess either large turtle, mosasaur, or dinosaur. My friend joked its a theropod maxilary skull fragment, but we all know around here that material seems close to impossible to come across haha. Interested to hear any other thoughts.

20201012_113157.jpg  20201012_113145.jpg

20201012_113135.jpg  20201012_113122.jpg

20201012_113112.jpg  20201012_113103.jpg

20201012_113054.jpg

7 minutes ago, M Harvey said:

I'm getting a turtle plastron vibe.  

I'm finding some good comparisons so I'm leaning towards that to, thanks!

30 minutes ago, M Harvey said:

I'm getting a turtle plastron vibe.  

I am not sure which part of the turtle this bone belongs to, but I agree that it's turtle.

: )

I don’t think you can say much more than reptile bone frag

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

i think it is turtle because of the very loose trabucular structure  the external shape does not suggest much more that that this was a big boy. ? land tortise?

1 hour ago, 10313horn said:

i think it is turtle because of the very loose trabucular structure  the external shape does not suggest much more that that this was a big boy. ? land tortise?

Thanks thats a cue to keep in mind for the future, unlikely land since it was a cretaceous ocean site but if its a big turtle could be something along the lines of the large sea turtles found there such as Atlantochelys or the more likely Peritresius ornatus.