PrehistoricWonders

There has been talk that the coyotes here in Maine are coyote/wolf hybrids. They are sizeable animals, easily mistakable for German shepherds.

I suspect this may be found to be something entirely different though.

Yeah... I had been almost certain it was red wolf, but someone who is younger, but works or volunteers at a museum said it was a big coyote canine, so I’m torn now... I still feel like it’s big for coyote, but not necessarily red wolf, would a hybrid be a possibility in Florida?

Understand that isolated canines are often very difficult to identify.  Context of the find is important.  Because there is individual variation in tooth size, and perhaps gender variation, it is fruitless to speculate on hybridization to explain a single isolated canine tooth.  Sometimes, you just have to accept that no trivial name can be deduced.

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Understand that isolated canines are often very difficult to identify.  Context of the find is important.  Because there is individual variation in tooth size, and perhaps gender variation, it is fruitless to speculate on hybridization to explain a single isolated canine tooth.  Sometimes, you just have to accept that no trivial name can be deduced.

Ok, I’m happy with either red wolf or coyote, I just wanted to check to make sure that if it could be identified, it would be.

10 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It's a known unknown ? :)

21 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Ok, I’m happy with either red wolf or coyote, I just wanted to check to make sure that if it could be identified, it would be.

You missed the point. It may be neither red wolf nor coyote.  It is certainly only Canis sp.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

43 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

You missed the point. It may be neither red wolf nor coyote.  It is certainly only Canis sp.

Ohh... I’m happy with anything in that genus, still, I’d prefer a specific species, but genus is fine.