Priscacara with four anal spines

ahlung62

I recently purchased a Priscacara specimen with what appears to be four anal spines.  In his book "The Lost World of Fossil Lake", Lance Grande mentioned that there is a possible new species with four anal spines and an elongate body.  I am including a couple of photos and would like feedback as to whether this is truly a Priscacara with four anal spines; and if so, what is the status of this being describe as a new species or just a mutation.  Your comments and feedback will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

20201012_141924.thumb.jpg.ca601ca2a13caee3c0d75fb81a256ddc.jpg

20201012_141953.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I tried to find one of those myself for many many years.  Never happened.  Not many of those around.  I think there is something about this in Lance's book.  I dont know where mine is so I cant hepl you.  Good luck

RB

On 10/12/2020 at 4:24 PM, jpc said:

you might have to ask Lance himself.  His contacts should be on the Field Museum web site.

Thank you very much, jpc, for your suggestion.  I have contacted Dr. Grande and just received a reply today.  His reply was "Yes, that looks like the form I indicated in the Fossil Lake book. I think it is a new species of priscacarid, but I have not yet gotten around to its description."  Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.