Crab? Pareidolia? What?

butchndad

Like all of us I pick up a lot of maybes/I don’t knows. I took this one home for a better look. With the loupe I think I see something and crab is my best guess. The whole piece is 1.5 inches. I don’t want to believe this is geologic. Your help greatly appreciated.

8A7504FA-3895-4ABB-A713-F1B9F1662BC9.thumb.jpeg.15dbadbb051ea2ad825e32be4ced7db8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

+1 for Ghost Shrimp. 

Nice find! Well spotted.  :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice find, pretty hard to find the Protocallianassa claws in more complete shape. You got one with 2 claw segments and pincers on the left of pic; there might be more to the specimen such as the other claw on the right (need to remove matrix). There is also a chance that the stuff on the right are worm burrows.

• I found this Informative 3

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Absolutely great find! However, it looks like it will be difficult to prepare. You may want to take it to a professional. 

1 hour ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Nice find, pretty hard to find the Protocallianassa claws in more complete shape. You got one with 2 claw segments and pincers on the left of pic; there might be more to the specimen such as the other claw on the right (need to remove matrix).

image.png.7db00e89c4d569c5b7318b3c6bd8ddb6.png easy to confirm now that you gave it a name

copied here is a photo of a ghost shrimp burrow from www.fossilsofnj.com.  ironically the same day as i found the Protocallianassa you identified i also picked up another maybe which i already discarded to my "nah" pile but matches up with this photo.  will have to post in a following post for confirmation.  Nice to give my ghost shrimp a home of his own.

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

+1 for Ghost Shrimp. 

Nice find! Well spotted.  :) 

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I think ghost shrimp are more common there at the very least.

You could enter it in the Fossil of the Month. There are no entries yet and this is a very cool fossil.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)