Looking for family adventures

LittleViking78

I live in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania and I’m looking to take my family of 5 on some fossil hunting adventures. Does anyone know of any places near Kennett Square, Pennsylvania to go fossil hunting?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

If your kids are old enough to put up with a drive, you could go about 1.5 hours north to Deer Lake.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you :thumbsu: I believe they would be fine as long as we brought snacks and drinks lol... Any particular place I should be looking in Deer Lake?

I believe the C and D canal is about 45 minutes from you. My brother in law lives in Kennett Square (John Olsen). In fact, someone just posted this week that fresh dredge material is available along the canal.

A trip to the C&D Canal - 9/26/2020, 10/3/2020

By Vae70, October 3 in Fossil Hunting Trips

Good luck!!!

Mike 

Welcome to the forum from Maryland! Lots of Devonian sites in your area if memory serves (including deer lake). I recommend getting the app Rockd or a geologic map, any sedimentary formation is possibly fossiliferous 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, LittleViking78 said:

Thank you :thumbsu: I believe they would be fine as long as we brought snacks and drinks lol... Any particular place I should be looking in Deer Lake?

You can click the blue link in my post and read more about it, (- there are results of a Forum Search) but there is a restaurant directly across from the lake, and I believe there were a few rock outcrops at the back/to the sides of the building. 

Just ask for permission at the Restaurant.  (Deer Lake Pub and Restaurant).

Deer Lake 1.JPG  Deer Lake.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the very belated reply but, from Kennett Square, you are also only a short drive from Big Brook in N.J. (Under 2 hours I would guess).  I would think sifting... or just surface collecting... for shark’s teeth would be a blast for the kiddos.   

if you skim through this section, you will see a multitude of recent posts from people detailing what they’ve found in the past month or two.  That should give you an idea of what you can expect.  The key is that you are pretty much guaranteed to find some cool stuff which is always helpful in keeping short attentions spans focused.

It does require walking in the creek bed so you will get wet.  You could wear hip waders but, as long as it is still reasonably warm, I would just wear some water shoes.  That will protect the feet and, well, with kiddos, you have to expect they’d get wet anyway.  Other than that, no special tools required.  If you want to sift, you could put together a strainer with spare lumber and window screen, but I wouldn’t bother with that much effort.  I’ve had fine luck in similar places literally using a spaghetti strainer from a dollar store. Get plastic ones... the smaller the “holes” the better...  in different colors so each child knows which is his or hers.   If you have three kids, for the the price of a half tank of gas and less than $10 worth of dollar store collanders, you would be good to go. 

• I found this Informative 1