Egg or Rock?

CDR

My father lives in SE MN, south of Rochester. He lives on a farm on top of a hill and has been doing a lot of topo work. In doing so, he has discovered that almost every rock he picks up has what appears to be seashells and fossilized plants in them. His research led him to conclude that the fossils are in the range of 400 million years old. The other day he was walking his land and saw what he thought was a potato sticking out of the ground. He picked it up and was puzzled. It feels hard like a rock, is smooth, and most shockingly it glows when light is applied to it. Is this an egg of some sort?

5f8645c375bc8_output(2).thumb.jpg.52e76bfad52408cac9c47cc91ffe590e.jpg5f8645e3ad8ce_output(1).thumb.jpg.20b8d0951a92a3ad0d95e2f4ebbaa3d8.jpg

This looks like a rock to me as well. Usually, fossil eggs have a layer of eggshell that I do not see here. Also, 400 million years ago is in the time of the Devonian, and I don’t believe there is a creature from that period that would lay an egg that size/shape. 

Agreed. There is virtually no chance of it being an egg.

Quartzite might be a reasonable guess, but I'm not a geologist. 

Thank you all for the feedback! My initial thought was that it's a rock, but the light threw me off. When I get a chance to look at it I'll inspect it a little closer and get some better pictures. While it is correct that there were no creatures in the same time-frame as the fossilized shells he's finding, there also isn't a guarantee that everything he finds there was deposited during that timeframe.

While the bedrock may be ~400 my (probably Ordovician or Devonian), there is overlying glacial material in that area and this is probably a nicely rounded glacial erratic (and likely not even sedimentary rock).  A very nice looking rock, though!

Thank you all for your information, this is very helpful. I apologize if I came across as resistant to reality, I assure you I respect the input from others that clearly have more experience and knowledge in the matter than myself! It may be a rock - but it's a cool one! lol

Here are some pictures of other finds on his property over the past couple weeks that better fit the purpose of this forum. Very fascinating!

output1.jpg.74e36500743c307d550c1ae190cd45cb.jpg

output3.thumb.jpg.e9bfdc3c7d371a822648fc2f7885fac1.jpgoutput4.thumb.jpg.ddcdf6f25602539f874bb7914e0231de.jpgoutput.thumb.jpg.ba646d4f3ca1e129d807be5c61945f31.jpg

I see trace fossils to the left in the second row 

There is likely a mold fossil with epibiont body fossils exposed on what would have been it's surface in the bottom photo. Alternatively they could be trace fossils in a thicker mold fossil.