traveltip1

Here are some finds from a late August to early September long loop road trip, fossil hunting through Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and Kentucky. 

I'll appreciate detailed specimen identification help.

First photo shows brachiopods & a trilobite from the Devonian Silica Shale Formation near Sylvania, northwestern Ohio. 

20201014_125243.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Brachiopods, bryozoa and echinoderms from the Devonian of northeastern Michigan. 

20201014_131010.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Nautiloids, horn corals and bryozoa from the Ordovician of southern Indiana and northern Kentucky. 

20201014_133110.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Horn corals, blastoids & crinoid column segments from the Mississippian of southern Indiana. 

20201014_134037.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

That is a very nice diverse smorgasbord of Paleozoic goodies.  :wub: :wub: :wub:  Clearly you had an excellent trip.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Wow! Lots of nice stuff! Congratulations on a very successful trip!:yay-smiley-1:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

looks like you had a good trip

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Ordovician, Devonian, Mississippian brachiopods, crinoids, corals, nautiloids, blastoids, and a Flexi! Oh my! What a trip! What a haul! Congrats and thanks for sharing your finds. 

A great diversity of finds! Looks like you had an awesome trip. That for sharing! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I just saw you asked for ID help. It might be hard to pin down specifics without multiple pictures of each one, but here are a few educated guesses.

Your horn coral from the Ordovician of the Kentucky area are likely Grewingkia canadensis.

Some of the brachiopods from the Kentucky area look to be a species or another of Vinlandostrophia (row 4). The last row looks to have some Rafinesquina in it.

The blastoids from the Mississippian rock of southern Indiana may be Pentremites, and the screw like things are Archimedes bryozoans.

Hopefully I got a few of those right, or at least gave you a good place to start. :) 

I could probably come up with a few more once I get back to my laptop.

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Ordovician, Devonian, Mississippian brachiopods, crinoids, corals, nautiloids, blastoids, and a Flexi! Oh my! What a trip! What a haul! Congrats and thanks for sharing your finds. 

Thanks!

You have found an outstanding array of Ordovician goodies - wow!!!

I really like the specimen boxed in red in the photo below:

20201014_131010.thumb.jpg.6e2be821292b98dac7fe045294d2d071.jpg.a90c20bd99c7c18182cd1ba5aa6ace4d.jpg

Is this a crinoid calyx?  And if so, do you know its identity?

On 10/24/2020 at 8:41 AM, Monica said:

You have found an outstanding array of Ordovician goodies - wow!!!

I really like the specimen boxed in red in the photo below:

20201014_131010.thumb.jpg.6e2be821292b98dac7fe045294d2d071.jpg.a90c20bd99c7c18182cd1ba5aa6ace4d.jpg

Is this a crinoid calyx?  And if so, do you know its identity?

Thanks.  Its a crinoid calyx, nice pentagonal pattern.