ID Help - Possible Coral

STLStout

This was found on October 9, 2020 in a creek bed in Warrenton, MO.
It is about 6cm x 7cm.
I am no scientist and I have no idea how to identify what we found. This website was introduced to be by one of the science teachers at the high school where I teach.
Any help is appreciated. 
Thank you.

20201014_151933.jpg

20201014_151942.jpg

20201014_151950.jpg

Edited by STLStout

According to my source, it’s a Tabulata, Favosites and from upper Ordovician- Middle  Devonian. 

Edited by jeannie55

The septa look a bit too developed for a favositid I think. I can't really offer an alternative though other than to agree that it's a tabulate.

It is a tabulate coral.  There are hundreds of genera of tabulates, though people who have not seriously studied the group tend to call them all Favosites.  Your photos are pretty good and it may be possible to narrow the ID down some more, but usually thin sections are needed to study the microstructure to arrive at a really confident ID.  Would you happen to know the age and formation of the local bedrock?

Don

• I found this Informative 1

According to this geologic map: 

geomap.jpg

... it would appear that Warrenton (in Warren County), is most likely in the area dominated by Mississippian Period outcrops. 

In this list, Favosites looks like the best match. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Rugosa. Hexagonaria-like (that would be Devonian, Permian). As somebody said above, tabulata have less developed septa.

Consider Pleurodictyum a tabulate coral that has faint septa on inside of coralites.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurodictyum

898FB6DA-B075-41B6-A44D-ACF25F7D16AE.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

6 cm x 7 cm is the right size for it probably. My eye, for one, was seeing a 6" board and registered the piece to be much larger.