Oreodont under UV

LabRatKing

For your viewing pleasure. Discovered by accident while disinfection testing in my lab:

Guess I’ll start taking my UV flashlight into the field with me even in non-scorpion areas!

1742C04C-C3E1-484F-ACAD-A3E9368257FD.thumb.jpeg.45ed3f1e6b1bbe077fc11db672961e70.jpeg

3D73BB1E-0F95-4E2D-90BF-D65A424AF9B9.thumb.jpeg.8400204bdfe04ffa012cab0bc31bba9c.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Nice. Seems these UV lights reveal a lot of interesting surprises, I'll have to see about getting one...

By the way, what function does the UV light play in relation to scorpions? Does it help to reveal them?

Wow that's cool how it glows a bright yellow.

1 minute ago, Norki said:

Nice. Seems these UV lights reveal a lot of interesting surprises, I'll have to see about getting one...

By the way, what function does the UV light play in relation to scorpions? Does it  help to reveal them?

Scorpions are fluorescent

image.jpeg.79c2986d45b35283a53c2343d0cf37e2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Just now, Norki said:

By the way, what function does the UV light play in relation to scorpions? Does it help to reveal them?

Yes, scorpions glow under UV  as do many minerals, when I'm out in Utah and other desert places, I alwys take one along as it is a lot of fun chasing scorpions in the dark.. Calcite is common in some fossils, so it gives glows like this.

Oreodonts are known to be dedicated users of fluoride toothpaste!

• I found this Informative 6

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I wonder if this fluorescence could be used to search for oreodont fossils in the field.  Of course that would mean stumbling around after dark, which might not be completely wise.

Don

42 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I wonder if this fluorescence could be used to search for oreodont fossils in the field.  Of course that would mean stumbling around after dark, which might not be completely wise.

Don

I'm sure it would, however one wouldn't need to be in full darkness. They make safety glasses that enhance fluorescence for things like leak detection. Doesn't work well in full glaring sunlight, but it is pretty handy. Was able to see these glowing in a well lit, full spectrum LED illuminated lab. In roughly daylight conditions they were still pretty visible. I'm going to break out the lab grade UV shortly and try this again. (Photos were taken with iPhone 11, no filters or software)

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Yes! As I’ve stated in previous posts about fossil fluorescence I used to know a collector who when he was fossil hunting he would take a u.v. Flashlight with him and scout likely locations after dark and mark the glows for the next days digging. He increased his finds quite a bit. I personally never got to go with him though. A lot of white river fossil teeth glow under uv. I’ve got a messohippus partial that it’s teeth also glow

• I found this Informative 4

4 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Guess I’ll start taking my UV flashlight into the field with me even in non-scorpion areas!

Yup, UV is great for finding scorpions. And while you're in scorpion filled areas you may like to keep an eye out for scorpion-like shapes that don't flouresce. You may run into my favorite arachnid, Mastigoproctus giganteus

20201015_144358.thumb.jpg.4ece040f33aba264bfd5d4366279c4cc.jpg

3 hours ago, Scylla said:

A lot of shark teeth are also florescent! Is your UV lamp UVA or UVB?

I have access to all three A, B, and C. I also have a hand held long/shortwave wand. For these photos a 425ish nm flashlight was used.

This topic has been discussed many times in the past. I always take a UV light with me to Fossil shows and shops to identify if any White River fossils have restoration done to them, it is unmistakable.

For as fun as a night hunt in the white river fm would be, I would probably not do so just based on how treacherous the terrain can be. Maybe just in a low relief area of exposures. The thought has crossed my mind before as hunting for white bones on white sediments in broad daylight can be difficult to refine your eyes towards.

white river eggshell also glows.  So does calcite.  You do get a lot of false positives doing this in the white river, but try it on an anthill and you will get lots of little goodies.  (But you will also miss the non-toothy goodies).

13 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Yes, scorpions glow under UV  as do many minerals

As does Amber 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

The White River rhino skull I recently got also has the same effect under UV light. I actually used the UV light during prepping in some cases because the teeth light up so clearly, but the bone itself too, while not as intense also lights up compared to the surrounding matrix, which didn't light up at all. So it helped seeing what part is bone and what is matrix.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

used the UV light during prepping

A potentially very useful aide I had never dreamed of, thanks.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

8 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

A potentially very useful aide I had never dreamed of, thanks.

I tried to make some photos but it wasn't as visible because I only have a small hand held UV light.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

5 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I tried to make some photos but it wasn't as visible because I only have a small hand held UV light.

This is the light I used for the photo: (Purchased via the big A site four under 20USD)

B188A476-A17F-43D4-B4BE-A1DA3B378E2C.jpeg

Thank you everyone for giving me an idea of using UV flashlight to search for certain fossils, I have never thought of it before! I just ordered the Vansky UV flashlight.

Thanks for showing that whip scorpion, haven't seen one of them in a long time.  Cool.  Not a true scorpion.

5 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Thanks for showing that whip scorpion, haven't seen one of them in a long time.  Cool.  Not a true scorpion.

Indeed, fascinating creatures and in my opinion much more pleasant to stumble upon as opposed their distant stinging cousins.