Kfinn0319

Can anybody tell me what this is? I have my idea, but no where near confident about it. I found this in N AZ about 30 min from the Chinle formation. I cleaned some sediment off, but not a lot of cleaning done.

16028406852997981390540909397489.thumb.jpg.1d2a54c89fcbde50f41c475d072f9642.jpg

Looks like an interestingly shaped stone to me, although the photo resolution is not good enough to properly make out the fine details of its composition. By the way FYI T-Rex lived during the Cretaeous Period. This interactive map will help you find out which stratigraphical unit underlies the site where your sample was found.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Moved to FOSSIL ID.

Welcome to the Forum.   :)

Unfortunately, your item is not a tooth.

There is no enamel present and no bone or root texture on this.

I believe this to be an eroded and oddly/suggestively shaped piece of limestone, or other type of rock. 

I do not see any fossils here.  :(

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

24 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum.   :)

Unfortunately, your item is not a tooth.

There is no enamel present and no bone or root texture on thid.

I believe this to be an eroded and oddly/suggestively shaped piece of limestone, or other type of rock. 

I do not see any fossils here.  :(

:DittoSign:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 hours ago, Kfinn0319 said:

I have my idea, but no where near confident about it

It looks like a cool stone to me too but what do you see, since your the only one who can see it in person here it’s possible we missed something and if we know what you thought we can state evidence that makes it a stone instead of what you were thinking.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 minute ago, Top Trilo said:

It looks like a cool stone to me too but what do you see, since your the only one who can see it in person here it’s possible we missed something and if we know what you thought we can state evidence that makes it a stone instead of what you were thinking.

Read the tags. ;) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Read the tags. ;) 

Thanks didn’t see that.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Thank you all for your quick response. I will attempt to take and post some higher quality photos. Seeing this in person is a much different experience as it has many ornate features as well as, what appears to be a serrated edge. I thought claw at first, until someone else said tooth. You guys are much more experienced with these things, as I have literally none. I will defer to your judgment after you see better photos. I found this in an area where I found many fossils and will be posting more items soon. I have started cleaning this one and it appears to have an off-white color coming out from under the dark sediment. Idk and will move onto other items once I get your responses from better photos if you still come to the same conclusion. Although personally disappointed so far, I am grateful for your help in this. To be fair, when I picked this and other items up, I thought they were artifact. It took me quite some time to even consider fossils...

15 hours ago, Kfinn0319 said:

I found this in an area where I found many fossils and will be posting more items soon.

Thank you for being understanding of the current verdict, I’m looking forward to seeing the other fossils

Not bone nor tooth.  It does not have enamel on it (like a tooth) nor does it have bone texture.  

Question, if it was found 30 minutes form the Chinle Fm, that at tells us nothing much, except that it is not from the Chinle.  Can you tell what formation it actually is from?  

In my driveway in Ganado AZ. 30 min south of Chinle. I believe you that it's not a tooth, because your explanation is detailed and makes sense to me. I, however, have a hard time seeing this as a naturally eroded rock. Could it be a claw, or even a horn that eroded or broke? I will accept your answer if you say a rock. I just want to learn and I really appreciate your clear and direct response. Although I wanted it to be something good, I would rather learn these things then waste anymore time cleaning a rock:DOH:

9 minutes ago, Kfinn0319 said:

In my driveway in Ganado AZ. 30 min south of Chinle. I believe you that it's not a tooth, because your explanation is detailed and makes sense to me. I, however, have a hard time seeing this as a naturally eroded rock. Could it be a claw, or even a horn that eroded or broke? I will accept your answer if you say a rock. I just want to learn and I really appreciate your clear and direct response. Although I wanted it to be something good, I would rather learn these things then waste anymore time cleaning a rock:DOH:

Not a claw - no bone textures. Not a horn, for the same reason. 

I see broken, eroded rocks that "look" like other things, but aren't.

Feel free to post more of your finds, and don't worry if they end up being fossils. 

Joining a local rock/mineral/gem/fossil club can put you in touch with seasoned experts who may know your area better.  ;) 

A way to tell that its a rock is you should see a general shape of a fossil or part but if it is completely eroded than the texture often gives it away. If you get familiar with those shapes and textures it will make it easier to see if it is a rock or fossil. Bone chunk, types of shark teeth, and mosasaur teeth below.

Genuine Dinosaur Bone | DINOSAURS ROCK SUPERSTORE | Fossil & Mineral  SpecimensShark teeth | Fossil Wiki | FandomReal Fossil Mosasaur Tooth (Packaged) For Sale - FossilEra.com

Thank you very much for your reply. I am disappointed, but that is how you learn. I don't want to be stubborn and try to prove anything. I am not an expert and you appear to have experience and education on this subject. I also appreciate you being direct. I will keep this rock because I think it's neat, but I will not waste anymore time on it. Thank you again...

• I found this Informative 1

I really want to know what you think about this next item. I was walking south of our house along the bottom of this hillside and noticed some of these. They are heavy, all had the same shape, and are the same size. There are these slabs of sandstone or some sort of pottery rock that have fallen as the hillside eroded away. Some is still sticking out of the hill. These tumbled out with sand and have tumbled down the hill. They were scattered going down the hill where the water has carved out a little gutter going down the hill. They are covered in a golden yellow covering that has proven very difficult to remove and shines up to a glossy shine. I have seen something in these, especially this one because I have spent the most time on it, while cleaning. I want to get your feedback before I say anything else about it...:zzzzscratchchin: