Crocodile or Alligator?

BellamyBlake

Here's a 1" tooth found in Florida. It looks narrower than I'd expect for an alligator, and there are also striations which I believe are prominent in crocodiles. Would it be a crocodile?

20201016_124435-min.jpg

4 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

Here's a 1" tooth found in Florida. It looks narrower than I'd expect for an alligator, and there are also striations which I believe are prominent in crocodiles. Would it be a crocodile?

20201016_124435-min.jpg

I’d say gator on this one, although it’s a narrower tooth, it’s still thicker than I’d expect for croc. 

3 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Need a scale or coin for more information. Also a view of the root end.

I don’t know if it’s an edit, but it says that it’s 1” long.

Hi,

4 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Need a scale or coin for more information.

No ! No coin ! We keep saying that a coin is not a good scale, only the people of the country know the size ! I say this every time because when the new members come in, they see pictures with coins and they do the same thing. It’s an endless circle.

Coco

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

38 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

I’d say gator on this one, although it’s a narrower tooth, it’s still thicker than I’d expect for croc.

I agree, this looks like alligator. I don't see any striations, just cracks in the enamel. And though I'd need to see an axial view to judge on the presence or absence of carinae versus the tooth's cross-sectional shape, I'm pretty convinced by the rounded overall shape of the tooth already.

4 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

No ! No coin ! We keep saying that a coin is not a good scale, only the people of the country know the size ! I say this every time because when the new members come in, they see pictures with coins and they do the same thing. It’s an endless circle.

Coco

Good point, Coco! Lets try to pay more attention to this :)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

8 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

7 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I agree, this looks like alligator. I don't see any striations, just cracks in the enamel. And though I'd need to see an axial view to judge on the presence or absence of carinae versus the tooth's cross-sectional shape, I'm pretty convinced by the rounded overall shape of the tooth already.

Thank you for the ID! I mistook the cracks for striations haha, oops. Alligator it is!