FossilsandScience

Hey everyone,

Thinking about purchasing this Megalodon tooth here, but want to make sure it's authentic first! Seller says it has no restoration and was found in Southeast US. It's 5.697" long. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 3.29.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 3.29.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 3.29.13 PM.png

Looks real. I don't see anything that would indicate it is a mold. My only suspicion is that I don't like the crack running down the middle. Sellers sometimes glue broken teeth back together. I think this one is ok, though, because it doesn't look like the crack goes all the way through. Don't see it on the other side either. Maybe just give it a check once you have it in your hands. 

5f8a1ee662c97_ScreenShot2020-10-16at3_29_18PM.thumb.png.2e5f26de49a5954e3ef6be874b94418e.png.a08ac3b0d34cb660492347e6f5214f4e.png

• I found this Informative 2

Preservation is typical of the southeastern United States, and I don't see anything that would make me doubt the authenticity of this tooth

• I found this Informative 4

16 hours ago, Praefectus said:

My only suspicion is that I don't like the crack running down the middle. Sellers sometimes glue broken teeth back together. I think this one is ok, though, because it doesn't look like the crack goes all the way through. Don't see it on the other side either. Maybe just give it a check once you have it in your hands.

I agree. Doesn't look like the crack goes all the way through or is on the other side. Thank you for the information!

3 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

Preservation is typical of the southeastern United States, and I don't see anything that would make me doubt the authenticity of this tooth

Awesome! Thanks!

5 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

:DittoSign:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Also, thanks for the great photos of this specimen. I’m using them right now to finish the sculpt on the museum cast project in another thread!