Ammonite Discovery

jnicholes

So, a long time ago, I bought a fossil Ammonite at an antique store in Post Falls, Idaho. I posted it here, and one user said it was mostly carved.

Heres a picture of when I bought it.

Two days ago, I was at a school volunteering for aftercare. I was able to show the kids the fossils I had, including the mostly carved Ammonite.

While showing the Ammonite fossil, I realized something. The parts that were mostly carved were in sandstone. When I got home, I was thinking. Using mathematics, I was able to determine that the rest of the Ammonite was UNDER the carved sandstone.

Very carefully, I removed the sandstone with a brush.

My theory was correct. There WAS more of the Ammonite under the carved sandstone.

It looked mostly carved before, but now, it looks about 70% uncarved.

I will attach a picture of after the sandstone was taken away in a second, I need to get it to the right file size.

Sorry to keep you all in suspense.

Jared

Ammonite Before.jpg

The parts up to where my index finger are on the spiral were not carved. Everything else seems to be carved. I could be wrong, though.

image.jpg

This looks a lot like one of the Cretaceous ammonites found in the area around Agadir, Morocco. 

They are often found as outer whorls with the inner whorls covered in matrix that is not easily removable so any missing whorls are carved into the specimens because they are said to sell better like this. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

This looks a lot like one of the Cretaceous ammonites found in the area around Agadir, Morocco. 

They are often found as outer whorls with the inner whorls covered in matrix that is not easily removable so any missing whorls are carved into the specimens because they are said to sell better like this. 

Correct. The seller said it was found in Morocco.

Congrats on figuring out that the carving was covering some of the outer whorl. I agree with you (and @Tidgy's Dad) that the center is still carved. Regardless, it looks much better. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I see carving and some enhancement sanding. 

image.thumb.jpg.8da11b6fe649afe0ef93d3fefd71ca1c.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me