Backwards Rudist, NOT

erose

I've been slowly working my way thru some specimens I collected this summer.  I often sort stuff out and tackle one group/order at a time. So I am sorting out some of the rudists that are found at one of my favorite Glen Rose Formation locations.  The site is rich with a seriously diverse fauna that includes at least 4 species of rudists.  Rudists were rather weirdly shaped bivalves that went extinct at the end of the Mesozoic.  They are also, most often, only found locked into hard rock and difficult to collect. But this local produces at least two that you can pick up complete and two that give good internal molds.  I started with the requienids Toucasia texana (Roemer) which look more like big gastropods than bivalves.  As I sorted them by size and quality I found there was one I kept picking up and turning to match with the others. But it wouldn't...  Take a look and let me know when you see the one that is different.  I'll follow up with pics of the other species later today.

EDIT: I guess I still did didn't turn it around enough times...It's just upside down....feeling kinda foolish about now...still nice fossils I think...:DOH:

IMG_6385.thumb.jpeg.7530a02085b302ba123ed61828f59490.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

The one in the middle of the bottom three? 

Yes, but another member of my club pointed out it was actually upside down...duh....  So much for thinking I had a weird sinestral rudist...

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, erose said:

Yes, but another member of my club pointed out it was actually upside down...duh....  So much for thinking I had a weird sinestral rudist...

:default_rofl:

I was wondering.............

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png