Might be a dumb question

JustCurious

Hi everybody, 

I’m by no means a fossil head but I have a question that pertains to my research for my artist practice. Is it possible for a fossil to be preserved in a metal? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I am curious if the science makes sense. Is there an example of this phenomenon? If so let me know, again thank y’all so much!

• I found this Informative 2

I believe metals are formed with high pressure and heat and I don’t think fossils can survive that process. However I do know of iron replaced fossils. I’m not sure, someone else will give you a better answer that’s just what I thought

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

To the best of my knowledge, I have never heard of fossils preserved as a pure elemental metal, although maybe someone here knows better. However, it is relatively common to find fossils preserved in metal ores such as pyrite or haematite.

• I found this Informative 5

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have heard of modern post mining examples a scorpion and wooden artifacts such as hammer handles and mine timbers being replaced/ coated with copper. I bet real fossils replaced/coated with copper could be found. 

“Fossil” in collection of Bill Yedowitz.

See this Forum post with references about copper replaced wood and trace fossils:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/28295-question-can-fossils-occur-in-native-copper/&do=findComment&comment=313666

C0DF4052-5D05-47CE-9FA9-806CB838BB95.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

There is a piece of wood in the Natural History Museum in London from a mine in Crete or Cyprus that is replaced with copper.  Very cool.  

It does happen with iron and copper sulfides most commonly. There are quite a few, like the green river formation that  the replacement took place with iron oxides.

The copper scorpions are likely debunked as "manufactured" artifacts.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/101424-copper-pseudomorph-after-a-scorpion/

Not a dumb question at all. A fossil being mineralized with metals instead of metallic compounds like metal oxides or sulfates would be pretty rare and would call for some really extraordinary environmental settings. Definitely not a type of fossilization we see with the exception of things like pyrite (iron sulfide FeS2 aka "Fool's Gold").

Do an internet search for "pyrite fossil" to see examples of this relatively common metallic association.

Wondering what brought this question to mind--general curiosity or something related to an artistic project you were contemplating?

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, JustCurious said:

I’m by no means a fossil head but I have a question that pertains to my research for my artist practice. Is it possible for a fossil to be preserved in a metal? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I am curious if the science makes sense. Is there an example of this phenomenon? If so let me know, again thank y’all so much!

Ok interesting question, Firstly I am an digital artist so I would be interested in knowing more about your practice. I have a trilobite that has some pyrite In it. It is not uncommon to have pyrite in fossils. A lot of ammonites from the U.K. have pyrite. The ones you may see for sale that are golden in colour have been polished with wire wool. 

Gerastos ainrasifus trilobite L. Devonian Morocco 

EB4F211F-72F4-4AA1-8F26-8DD5F3B300CB.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Fish from the Upper Permian (Copper Shale Formation)  in Thuringia and Saxony -Anhalt can - although very rarely - be covered with a layer of silver and acanthite (silver sulfide).

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Just a note of caution.  Although there are a vast number of authentic examples of fossils being preserved in pyrite (I really like pyrite fossils BTW), it is also possible to create a pyrite-like effect by using a brass wire brush.  For example, brass wire brushes are often used to remove shale from Elrathia kingi trilobites, and some of the brass ends up transferred to the fossil to produce a thin layer of brass on the calcite, sort of like gold leaf on an ornamental carving.  This brass is easily removed with a stiff bristled toothbrush and water.  Also the wire brush treatment damages the fine detail of the surface.

Don

• I found this Informative 4