Canine Tooth?

Caallison

Here is a tooth that I unknowingly found while digging up possible Proboscidean fossils. From what I was able to research, I believe it belongs to a canine ancestry, but the root growth makes me lean towards there bear side of the canine ancestry. Overall the flattened ridges on top do not match any of my theories. What do you all think?

Tooth 1.jpg

Tooth 2.jpg

Tooth 3.jpg

Hmmm,

2nd photo indicates that this tooth is broken... possibility that 50% of the tooth is missing. I have never seen a bear molar that looks anything like this...

Possibilities are mastodon, rhino, dugong...

There are 6 views of any fossil.  There are only 3 here. Please show the other 3.

Check out this link:

https://paleoenterprises.com/product-category/proboscidean-fossils/

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 10/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, Shellseeker said:

Please show the other 3.

@Shellseeker Are these any better? It was hard to get my phone camera to focus in it an get the detail. I could not get a good photo of the roots toward the camera.

20201020_205457.jpg

20201020_205506.jpg

20201020_205510.jpg

20201020_205518.jpg

20201020_205623.jpg

20 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Looks like the labial half of a carnivore M1, probably a dire wolf.

where did you get these images, I cant find any images of the molars, just the pointy teeth

6 hours ago, Caallison said:

Are these any better? It was hard to get my phone camera to focus in it an get the detail. I could not get a good photo of the roots toward the camera.

Thank you for these views... I was interested  in the top (new ) photo because I wondered how much of the enamel was broken on this side.

Also, this this photo would (again) high light the bump on the termination of the root, which is fairly common on the end of the root for predators.

So, the extra photos were helpful to me,  although Harry provided the right answer a lot quicker than I could have...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

8 hours ago, Caallison said:

where did you get these images, I cant find any images of the molars, just the pointy teeth

I made those images of a specimen in my collection.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

15 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I made those images of a specimen in my collection.

I'd call that a credible source!