Cave bear paw

I’m not sure if the bones are real but if they are it’s probably a composite. You can see how different bones are different colors

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I'm seeing lots of air bubbles, :unsure:  :Confused02:

Looks like a reproduction, to me. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have a few claws and Metacarpals they look the same but are far darker than yours. It does look right but I don't like how it is held together! Particularly the claws and the actual hand bones Trapezium etc (not sure too much on the anatomy!). The claws just don't look to be attached very tidily which makes me start to think it is some kind of cast with real parts too? 

I will be interested to see what one of the boffins say!

Well, I see real bones in there, but this is definitely a composite. As composite display pieces go, it is a pretty good one. There is most definitely a ton of reconstruction on many of the bones, the matrix between the carples is obviously artificial, and as others have pointed out, a drill and rod armature was used. I can see quite a bit of putty work on the metacarpals, particularly #1. In fact the first metacarpal of #1 is the only place I would actually detract points for quality of work. The distal phalanges and claws of #2, 3 and 4 are obvious castings with added matrix weathering, but they are acceptable for a display piece in my opinion. I have seen much worse work on display in actual museums!

Now, is this a fake, no. Is it a museum-quality mounted reconstruction display piece? Yes. Is it extremely good work? I'd be proud to put my name on it if it was my work.

These are all pretty standard techniques for display pieces, even in museums. Remember that 80% of the fossils you see in a museum are outright reproductions!

I see you decided not to purchase this one. Ultimately, it is your call, but personally, I would be more than happy to put this one on the shelf. In a world of bad fakes being sold as real, and collectors preferring poached fossils over perfectly acceptable museum grade reconstructions I was actually kind of happy to see this one. It is a shame the seller dishonestly claimed it is "100% real".

I'd have him send me pictures of it under UV light, then negotiate a discount accordingly, but then again, I'm a bit of a jerk. :wink:

• I found this Informative 2