What do I have here??

EarlyDecay

Hey everyone!!

I ran across something that was given to me many years ago when I was a child, and am interested in learning more about it. It has a paper with it stating what it is supposed to be, but I'm not 100% sure it's accurate either.

Thanks for any help that can be given!! 

IMG_1021.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

27 minutes ago, EarlyDecay said:

It has a paper with it stating what it is supposed to be,

On the face of it, it looks correct. Though, I'm assuming this is a replica and is cast from an original fossil. Some of our other members might know if it was pulled from a specific specimen ?

Cheers,

Brett

Judith River fm. is not Maastrichtian and not present in Alberta. If it were a Maastrichtian formation in Alberta where T. rex is present it would be from the Scollard fm.

• I found this Informative 2

The language in the article is confusing but back when this article was written the Campanian age deposits in Alberta were called Judith River Formation.  72mya is Campanian.  Unfortunately like PaleoNoel  said Trex is a late Maastrichtian age, 66mya, dinosaur   

Also agree it appears to be a replica with all of the pinholes in the crown.

Its best called an indeterminate replica Tyrannosaurid tooth since we cannot pinpoint where it came from that covers all of the possibilities 

• I found this Informative 2

Definitely a replica. The bubbles near the tip are an indicator fore sure, but the colors of the resin at the root are identical to a cast of a bison skull I have at the Uni. Circa late 80s on the skull. That gray-green resin was popular at the time.

Awesome. That's kind of what I was expecting to hear. Is there a market for this type of stuff, or is it better just to hang onto?

Thanks everyone!! 

8 minutes ago, EarlyDecay said:

Awesome. That's kind of what I was expecting to hear. Is there a market for this type of stuff, or is it better just to hang onto?

Thanks everyone!! 

As much as there is a market for replicas. Since we don't give valuations here, you'll most likely have to look at the auction sites to see what replicas of this nature sell for.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, Kane said:

As much as there is a market for replicas. Since we don't give valuations here, you'll most likely have to look at the auction sites to see what replicas of this nature sell for.

As a side note, I’m totally OK with honest replicas like this one that get kids into the hobby/keep them engaged/ grow up to become engaged adults! A plaster Green River fish, brought me back to paleontology after a long, long hiatus...though the pros around here helped too!

In short, nothing wrong with a replica if you treasure it!

22 minutes ago, EarlyDecay said:

Thanks everyone!! 

I use replicas of rare items to compliment my dinosaur collection.  If you attend fossil shows dinosaur replicas of teeth and claws are always to be found.   You need to decide the sentimental value you have on this tooth.  

• I found this Informative 3