Trilobites looks flaky and cyanoacrylate

Jurassicz1

So i got a trilobite pygdium that i i will prep but under it theres not alot of matrix so i was worried that it would fall apart. So i put some cyanoacrylate on the back. Heres some pictures the dark is cyanoacrylate. But the question is is it needed to keep the trilobite whole when prepping?And should i put more on the back as i prep more?And after should i remove it with acetone? If It needs to be there to keep it complete how do i make transparent? I got 2 trilobites that look really flaky pieces of shell looks very flaky and probably will fall apart if i Touch it. How do i fix the flaking part? Also cyanoacrylate? And if so how do i later remove the cyanoacrylate without removing the flaky pieces? Theres a picture of one of the trilobites that looks flaky.

Screenshot_20201021-121843_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ee988a265387bd8c7e5c9e262216f391.jpg 20201021_120104.thumb.jpg.5be26dab3a5508bb6e2aa350f041922f.jpg20201021_120100.thumb.jpg.c046537a1ad39efb33962d4a9d6a8aa1.jpg

If it’s going to fall apart, definitely glue it. Be careful with your application as it isn’t fun to get off the fossil. Order some Paraloid B72 for future stabilization projects. It is much easier to work with and never really degrades.

You can kind of remove the cyanoacrylate with acetone but it never really comes off completely without an acetone soak. It doesn’t sound like your fossil would survive that. I regularly consolidate as I go when prepping as needed.

• I found this Informative 1

It seems the flaky material is just dirt/marl. In this case I would avoid glueing before starting preparation, esp. with superglue/cyanacrlylate.

Do you want to prep the pygidium from the top or from the bottom?

11 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If it’s going to fall apart, definitely glue it. Be careful with your application as it isn’t fun to get off the fossil. Order some Paraloid B72 for future stabilization projects. It is much easier to work with and never really degrades.

You can kind of remove the cyanoacrylate with acetone but it never really comes off completely without an acetone soak. It doesn’t sound like your fossil would survive that. I regularly consolidate as I go when prepping as needed.

Ok! So i should put the glue? And i put some on a orthoceras that had alot of cracks. Should i then remove the leftovers outside the cracks? And where do i get paraloid? I found some at zoic palaeo tech. But would be nice if i can get it in a store 

Show a clearer picture of the dorsal side.

So far, I'm in agreement with Johannes. From what can be seen, the flaky portion is not part of the shell, which in this case should likely be orange/brown.

When using glue, less is more -- wick the cracks, but don't drown the fossil unless you want to be spending time with acetone and a pin vise (it comes off easily with air abrasion, though).

You will likely have to order the Paraloid online.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

22 hours ago, Kane said:

So far, I'm in agreement with Johannes. From what can be seen, the flaky portion is not part of the shell, which in this case should likely be orange/brown.

When using glue, less is more -- wick the cracks, but don't drown the fossil unless you want to be spending time with acetone and a pin vise (it comes off easily with air abrasion, though).

Alright but i can spend hours with acetone and a pin vise. But i wont drown the fossil. But if the glue on the surface keeps a part of the fossil from falling apart. How do u remove the leftover glue? And to remove as much without breaking the bond with the glue and piece.

23 hours ago, Kane said:

This is the flaky one. I think u meant the pygdium. Because the flaky is shell. I did post this with the other pictures but not sure if its there. And i can use a pin vise but i wont drown the fossil. But in this case do i glue on top of the flaky shell? If so how do i remove it later without breaking the bond? Can i remove the leftovers so i cant see the glue anymore while its still there?20201021_113320.thumb.jpg.ef878b830311a21ecdee321b1310ff43.jpgt

On 10/22/2020 at 11:53 AM, Johannes said:

It seems the flaky material is just dirt/marl. In this case I would avoid glueing before starting preparation, esp. with superglue/cyanacrlylate.

Do you want to prep the pygidium from the top or from the bottom?

Sure its just dirt? I posted this with the other pictures. Not sure if it made it. I replied to another person about this. Looks like Only the pygdium pictures made it20201021_113320.thumb.jpg.2f9dcf6abf65dd82451abcb8da80908c.jpg

The picture is too blurry, poor lighting, and at an angle for one to make as meaningful a determination as would be required here.

Take the shot in better lighting, without holding it in your hand, and directly on the specimen.

On 10/23/2020 at 2:11 PM, Kane said:

The picture is too blurry, poor lighting, and at an angle for one to make as meaningful a determination as would be required here.

Take the shot in better lighting, without holding it in your hand, and directly on the specimen.

16036531727318493610135158520202.thumb.jpg.95838874632e3fdaccec42ea874356fd.jpghope this is better :)

That does look like original shell, although not much of it is left. I'd wick cyanoacrylate along every flake edge before doing any prep.

Its a very very weathered Illaenus-Fragment, and I would check if preparation it's worth the effort. If, I would not use cyanacrylate but paraloid+acetone to secure the left-over-flakes of original shell.

Good luck!