Horn Coral Cross Section?

Ramona

In regards to the ball shape, sometimes I get so caught up in my macro photography that it helps to take a step back and see the larger picture for a change.  For instance, I shot a photo of the topography of the rock surrounding this fossil and I saw another one that I had previously not seen before.  I may be seeing things that aren't there, but it looks like there may be a "vacant space" next to it?  Did something move from one place and end up where it is now? Thanks so much for helping me study this fascinating rock!  I know it's not shark's teeth or anything, but it's still cool!

Ramona

IMG_0734edit.jpg

And as I was scrolling over this photo, I noticed that this small rock was a different texture and shape.  You can compare the size via the measuring tape in a photo above, where I measured the ball thing. Is this a flake of some other type of rock, perhaps?

Thanks!
Ramona

IMG_0734edita.jpg

[Wait a minute. This lady is a photographer. Is this ? , no it's not April first. Could she be messing with us ?]

Seriously though; I think the balls are a preservational  feature caused by the interplay of the colony's internal structure and the propagation of mineral crystals during mineralization.

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

[Wait a minute. This lady is a photographer. Is this ? , no it's not April first. Could she be messing with us ?]

Seriously though; I think the balls are a preservational  feature caused by the interplay of the colony's internal structure and the propagation of mineral crystals during mineralization.

LOL  Not messin' with you - I just shoot 'em as I see 'em! Well, I actually shoot 'em so I CAN see 'em.  Hard to see the tiny things without the help of my macro lens. That's fascinating - a preservational feature! I just wish you could do a video or something and explain the whole process to me... I am learning bits and pieces of how these "scenes" come together.  So, it could be a way of the colony actually preserving/protecting itself, along with the process of the formation of mineral crystals?  

Any idea what the thingy up in the corner is?

Thanks for your patience!  Are you a teacher by trade? ;-) 

Ramona

12 minutes ago, Ramona said:

So, it could be a way of the colony actually preserving/protecting itself

My thought is that it has more to do with the geometry of the colony as new zooids bud. I think the result is the creation of what acts in the same manner as a bedding plain due to the orientation of micro crystals.

Mind you it's just my thought, for what it may be worth. :)

• I found this Informative 1

19 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Are you a teacher by trade?

I'm a caretaker of real estate. Give me a tractor and chainsaw. My mother was a teacher.

I have been considering volunteering, in some capacity that may involve educating, at some fossil site when I retire though.

31 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Any idea what the thingy up in the corner is?

No. But if I get a free shot it would be bivalve shell fragment.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, Rockwood said:

No. But if I get a free shot it would be bivalve shell fragment.

You get as many free shots as you want!  And I think it's a great idea for you to volunteer!  

I'm learning a lot, but also having more and more questions!  Is there a good video series on the formation of bryozoans? I would love to study these in particular?  So, are these impression fossils or are they the actual creatures themselves?  And you used quite a few terms that intrigued me... I am hesitant to ask about each and every one of them, though!  I am going to attach a couple more photos to see if I can find something that fits what you asked about - a fossil encrusting on another fossil.  ;-)  

Ramona

This is a different rock, but from the same area.  I THINK it is encrusted with trepostome bryozoans, but maybe in layers? Or are they encrusted on a bivalve? The first image is an end shot so you can see the different layers. It also shows the detail of the tiny dots along the ridges that makes me think it is bryozoan? But then, what are the egg like  objects on it? and what are the different layers of?  Just plain ol' rock?  Is there such a thing?!  

Ramona

IMG_0460edit.jpg

IMG_0476edit.jpg

IMG_0479edit.jpg

When it comes to the difference between impression fossils and the "actual creatures", I guess this illustrates the difference?  This is tiny - about 1mm or so - and I dug it up from the bottom of our creek bed.  I guess this is a collection of actual bits and pieces of bryozoan creatures, while some of the other things I am seeing on rocks are impression fossils?  Am I starting to "get it" yet? 

IMG_0402edit.jpg

2 hours ago, Ramona said:

I guess this is a collection of actual bits and pieces of bryozoan creatures, while some of the other things I am seeing on rocks are impression fossils?  Am I starting to "get it" yet? 

Well, :s_cry: not quite. These appear to be mostly crinoid columnals. Body fossils all.

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Ramona said:

But then, what are the egg like  objects on it? and what are the different layers of?  Just plain ol' rock?  Is there such a thing?!  

The "eggs" are beekite on a brachiopod (I think) shell.

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Well, :s_cry: not quite. These appear to be mostly crinoid columnals. Body fossils all.

Well, okay... they are at least bits and pieces of something, right?!! LOL  As opposed to impressions of something? Either that or it's spaghetti-O's from the bottom of the creek bed!  

Ramona

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Ohhhh, you sent me googling again!!  I had never heard of beekite before! That is so cool!!  Thanks!!

4 minutes ago, Ramona said:

As opposed to impressions of something?

If it's there it's a body fossil. If it's the hole where something used to be it's a mold fossil. I only use the term impression because 'they' made me. I don't think it is accurate at all virtually ever. 

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

If it's there it's a body fossil. If it's the hole where something used to be it's a mold fossil. I only use the term impression because 'they' made me. I don't think it is accurate at all virtually ever. 

So what about this huge rock that I have that I am taking photos of - the one with all of the trepostome bryozoans (ohhhhh, did I spell that right?!!)?  Am I seeing body fossils or mold fossils on the rock?  I just learned about silicification, by the way, as I was googling beekite!  

On 10/22/2020 at 3:40 PM, Rockwood said:

I think the change in preservation could possibly be the result of the different mineral composition of the burrow fossil at the center of the ball.

There's a xenomorph in there. It just needs a good CT scan set on fry to bring it to light.

Maybe.  :headscratch::Confused05:

I've been meaning to ask you what a burrow fossil is, too!!  Might as well keep you busy while I'm at it, LOL!!  

4 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Am I seeing body fossils or mold fossils on the rock? 

Body. In that instance the difference is in whether the zooecia (bryozoan houses) are empty (weathered free from) or filled with matrix.

7 minutes ago, Ramona said:

I've been meaning to ask you what a burrow fossil is, too!!  Might as well keep you busy while I'm at it, LOL!!  

The hole a creature excavated in which to live. Most often indicated by the lithified sediment which filled it being preserved so as to be distinct from it surrounding.

12 hours ago, Ramona said:

Am I seeing body fossils or mold fossils on the rock?  

Body, as Rockwood says. You're seeing the original structure of the calcite skeleton which will have very often been recrystallised and/or replaced over time  but preserving much or most of the original structure.

If that fell or dissolved out of the matrix leaving just the imprint, you'd have an external mould fossil.

Tarquin

On 10/24/2020 at 5:35 PM, Rockwood said:

The hole a creature excavated in which to live. Most often indicated by the lithified sediment which filled it being preserved so as to be distinct from it surrounding.

How did you learn all of this information?  I want to learn stuff without having to bug folks like you all the time, LOL!!  Thanks for being patient and answering all of my questions, though!!

Ramona

On 25.10.2020 at 1:08 AM, Rockwood said:

I' m late to the party, but I agree that are beekite on some shell structure e.g. brachiopod.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

52 minutes ago, Ramona said:

How did you learn all of this information?  I want to learn stuff without having to bug folks like you all the time, LOL!!  Thanks for being patient and answering all of my questions, though!!

Ramona

One of the primary ways is that I read books, slowly, but steadily. There are quite a few available that  are geared toward the average person as well as being of interest to professionals.

It's also hard to give out information on here without gaining more. I love helping people who want to learn almost as much as a good argument with people who know. :)