Crocodile Vertebra?

justawee

Hello,

I really just wanted to get some opinions on this fossil I saw online. It's already been sold but it was going for a good price!

Is it real? Dimensions were listed as 5.6" tall, found in Morocco.

It's from a dealer that seems legitimate but I can't help but be skeptical because of the price! So sorry, I'm very new to the fossil community.

Thank you for your time.

8v.jpg

7v.jpg

6v.jpg

5v.jpg

4v.jpg

3v.jpg

2v.jpg

1v.jpg

Edited by justawee

The description is accurate the only problem is with the provenance.  The Tegana Formation does not exist, it should be the Kem Kem Beds.

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The description is accurate the only problem is with the provenance.  The Tegana Formation does not exist, it should be the Kem Kem Beds.

Thank you for your input! Would that make you nervous about buying this fossil? Or do you think it's just an error?

Yup, this looks like a croc vertebra. Seems to be an anterior caudal one. The bottom shows attachment points for a chevron. And the wide zygapophyses is something you see in Kem Kem crocs.

And like Troodon said. Tegana formation doesn't exist. The origins of the mistake is unknown. But a possible explanation is the misspelling of Tegama formation, which is not in Morocco, but in Niger.

This looks like a typical Kem Kem Group fossil.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite