Anyone know what this is?

Richard T

Hi, went fossil hunting with my family to Mappleton on Holderness coast last weekend and found this rock. Not sure what process formed it and whether it is a fossil or not, but it's got me really curious and I'd love to find out more if anyone knows. Has a kind of sticky out rim that goes around it. Thanks, Richard.

2020-10-18 18.26.33.jpg

A lot of such concretions further up the coast in the Whitby area, sometimes contain fossils, sometimes fossils can be seen poking out. Very hard rock and a bugger to split or do much with though 

• I found this Informative 2

29 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

A lot of such concretions further up the coast in the Whitby area, sometimes contain fossils, sometimes fossils can be seen poking out. Very hard rock and a bugger to split or do much with though 

Could the rim around it be an edge of an ammonite?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thanks all, did wonder about giving it a whack! Have recently bought a fossil hammer, as yet unused. Any tips for where to hit, how to hit? Should I try and chisel a little groove first or is it a case of just giving a whack and hoping for best?

1 hour ago, Richard T said:

Thanks all, did wonder about giving it a whack! Have recently bought a fossil hammer, as yet unused. Any tips for where to hit, how to hit? Should I try and chisel a little groove first or is it a case of just giving a whack and hoping for best?

Personally I’d go for a cold chisel and lump hammer on any obvious groove around the rim, but others may suggest a different approach.
Make sure you wear eye protection and don’t whack it on the patio/driveway/front doorstep etc as you’ll probably break that before you make a mark on your find

that looks like the kind of nodule that may contain some small eleganticeris ammonites in the middle, make sure to split it around the edge where it sticks out as if they are there they will be on that plane

• I found this Informative 3

Truth is this looks like a geologic to me, but with weathered concretions anything is possible. I have a limestone “cannonball” that I had on my desk for 20 years...and a custodian knocked onto the floor...it has a wonderful crab at the core!

• I found this Informative 1

Well this does come from a beach which does have concretions which could contain ammonites and other fossils, so I'd follow Will's advice if I were you.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 2 weeks later...

@Richard T Did you open it? Curious if there was anything inside

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)