The Gettysburg Bridge Dino Footprints

MeisTravis

My family and I are on short end of season camping trip in Southeastern Pennsylvania and decided to head over to Gettysburg. These have probably been covered here before but I got some pictures of the famous Dinosaur Footprints on the Bridge! My son loved it (I’m gonna pretend more than me :heartylaugh:). Anyone know of anywhere I can go searching for some fossils while I’m in the area that’s around the Gettysburg area??

279661E0-40EC-4CAE-ABF4-345B2D9C8A90.jpeg

399C3DCB-A00E-4B96-8E8A-6FB30F20442C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 12

11 minutes ago, connorp said:

I had never heard of this before. Quite cool! Do you know what age they are?

Much of the east coast dinosaur tracks you'll see online or in museums are from the late triassic-early jurassic, part of the newark supergroup which stretches from Nova Scotia to North Carolina. Some exposures are present in Pennsylvania.

The only other tracks I know of on the east coast of are from the Potomac Group in Maryland which is early-mid Cretaceous.

Very cool finds!

• I found this Informative 3

14 minutes ago, connorp said:

I had never heard of this before. Quite cool! Do you know what age they are?

They are Triassic, the bridge was actually built in the 1930s from a local quarry. I’d never actually known about it either until I was researching stuff to do and came across it. Ironically my son was wearing a dinosaur shirt, and a woman was like hey there’s dinosaur footprints on the bridge up here he might think that’s cool. Of course I’d never been told about it til now when I already knew though hahahah :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 4

I live near Gburg. Never heard of that. I will have to look it up. 

There is a Triassic site in Jersey near a college (only went once back in the 90s) where you can collect prints. Dont know if it is still accessible or not. I have one I found. Or had rather. Not sure where it ended up. 

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, smokeriderdon said:

There is a Triassic site in Jersey near a college (only went once back in the 90s) where you can collect prints. Dont know if it is still accessible or not. I have one I found. Or had rather. Not sure where it ended up. 

Would love more on info on that if you remembered anything and are willing to give out that information! I’m actually from Northeastern PA so I’m on a, for the most part, island without fossils where I’m at. To look anywhere I end up driving about 2 hours at the least. 

The bridge is on South Confederate Ave within Gettysburg National Military Park. On that road you follow it out a short distance and you’ll see a statue for William Wells. Next to the statue are spots to park in and you see the bridge from there and just walk to it!

8 minutes ago, smokeriderdon said:

Unfortunately, I didnt record any info on the site and thats all I remember of it. 

I gotcha, still cool though!

On 10/26/2020 at 6:58 AM, MeisTravis said:

Would love more on info on that if you remembered anything and are willing to give out that information! I’m actually from Northeastern PA so I’m on a, for the most part, island without fossils where I’m at. To look anywhere I end up driving about 2 hours at the least. 

The bridge is on South Confederate Ave within Gettysburg National Military Park. On that road you follow it out a short distance and you’ll see a statue for William Wells. Next to the statue are spots to park in and you see the bridge from there and just walk to it!

NE PA is loaded with fossils! That's a big region though. Still can't imagine going two hours to find fossils anywhere in NE PA. You covered in glacial till?

12 minutes ago, Plax said:

NE PA is loaded with fossils! That's a big region though. Still can't imagine going two hours to find fossils anywhere in NE PA. You covered in glacial till?

I’m not familiar with glacial till and a quick google search defines it for me but I don’t understand it. The closest place that’s easily accessed without permissions from me is the Montour Preserve or Beltzville state park(both roughly an hour and a half) or Big Brook which is what I’m more interested in

(2 hours). I’ve found a few trace fossils in Tunkhannock Pa where I’m from but they’re trace fossils and not easily found. I found them nearly 20 years ago when I was young and didn’t even know how finding fossils worked. I also really don’t understand geological maps so I can’t figure out where to go by looking at them. I’m really green still with everything. 

Get the book Fossil collecting in Pennsylvania if it's still available from the geological survey in Harrisburg. I've collected fossils in Wilksbarre and not even on purpose. Was staying at a hotel there for a wedding and there were plant fossils all over the bank behind the place. Plenty of fossils near you. Road cuts are especially good as are old strip mines. The valleys have limestones and produce a variety of invertebrate fossils.

• I found this Informative 1

When I was in the region I found fossils in fields and wherever I found bunches of rocks, the other thing I can think of is that when you tend to find access to running water there is a decent chance you could find fossils in creek and stream beds, since they sometimes get eroded or transferred as float. The other thing I remember is that the footprints at Gettysburg should be the same age as the Connecticut dinosaur tracks and the track found in Rockland county in New York. if you could find it through a Library Dinosaurs of the East coast by David B. Weishampel Talks about some sites in the east coast and has a list of known sites and taxa by state and is a pretty good read as well. 

Also cool Pictures.

I haven't heard of them, but I love Gettysburg! It’s where I got into artifacts, which eventually got me into fossils. It’s one of my favorite towns! 

Been to Gettysburg many times and somehow this totally escaped my attention. Very cool.  I know you kind of described where it was.  Do you remember where on the battlefield relative to landmarks?  In other words, for example, was it the bridge over the creek at the foot of the Round Tops (And that is my example because it is the only bridge I definitively remember)?

Edit:  Never mind.  Found it.  South of Devil’s Den, Southwest of the Roundtops:

BC2E5FA9-8E05-48AD-B6A2-D63E1707D7B1.jpeg

Edited by BigKen
Added info on bridge

9 hours ago, grandpa said:

Thanks Grandpa! Have been telling everyone to buy one from the survey and never occurred that it may be out of print. This and Horace Richards Cretaceous of New Jersey were our "go to" pubs in the 70s. Lots of information. Grew up in SE PA.

7 hours ago, Plax said:

Horace Richards Cretaceous of New Jersey

That was a bit harder to find given the games NJ has played over the years with rearranging their various state depts.  But I found it.  For those New Jersey and those Cretaceous fans out there, both volumes of this classic work can be found on-line at:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/oldpubs/bulletin61-I.pdf

and

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/oldpubs/bulletin61-II.pdf

Enjoy!  :rolleyes:

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Meis,

I just saw your post and wanted to share a few ideas. I've lived all over PA from Thompson to Slippery Rock! I understand what you mean about specific areas of NE Pa being fossil sparse or barren. Don't be afraid to check out old Greenstone/Flagstone quarries as  I've seen plant fragments & brachs that only show up after weathering.

The area around Danville - Lewisburg - Selinsgrove (Snyder & Mifflin County) and many of the outcrops along Rt15 heading toward Williamsport are often productive.

I wouldn't bother spending any money on the locality books since most of the sites are posted or leveled but if you want a copy of the Fossil collecting in Pa please PM me. I know of a few sites around the State College Area and have a list of about 15 interesting fossil/mineral sites in Altoona (Blair County).

My best advice is to just drive and check out road cuts. Sometimes looking at stone fences will give you a good idea of local stuff.

Get your boots dirty!

Tim

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

On 10/28/2020 at 12:17 AM, grandpa said:

On 10/28/2020 at 10:15 AM, Plax said:

Thanks Grandpa! Have been telling everyone to buy one from the survey and never occurred that it may be out of print. This and Horace Richards Cretaceous of New Jersey were our "go to" pubs in the 70s. Lots of information. Grew up in SE PA.

I bought one on online a month or so ago for $4.  I was quite happy to stumble upon it.  Post with some pic in the mailbox score thread page 219.

On 10/26/2020 at 6:58 AM, MeisTravis said:

Have you been to Carbondale? There is an excellent site there for Carboniferous ferns, etc. I was lucky enough to find a dragon fly nymph and an insect trackway.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

1 hour ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

Have you been to Carbondale? There is an excellent site there for Carboniferous ferns, etc. I was lucky enough to find a dragon fly nymph and an insect trackway.

Tom

I haven’t been actually, I wanted to go but funny enough a coworker of mine lives near there and said the mine he always went to is fenced off now. I may still see if there’s anywhere else and go at some point! 

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2020 at 11:23 PM, smokeriderdon said:

May have been Rowan University, formerly Glassboro State College then. Now it's The Jean and Ric Edelman Fossil Park and Museum of Rowan University