I Think I Found Crabs

jeannie55

In all seriousness, a few days ago, I washed three more of the fossils from my fossil hunting extravaganza of which I will eventually post about. I think I see two maybe three crabs in this chunk of what I thought was coral. I am not sure what the matrix is other than a lot of coral and I am still new to prepping; actually, I haven’t really prepped other than washing the fossils. I am posting horrible pictures of which I am sorry about. So in the first picture, is that a smashed crab face? There are long pincher arms and side legs but they are not connected to this part. Do any of you see the crab?  If it is a crab, is it worth prepping. I think there’s a second crab on the bottom but it is smaller  7735C253-9F66-423E-AFF3-2F469BA8D26C.thumb.jpeg.30e1d41972543c76feb65691ca74fbfc.jpeg

I'm not seeing a crab, but perhaps a few more photos will provide a bit more diagnostic clarity. :look:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Neither am I. :( 

Perhaps we should backtrack a bit here as to where this was found. If we can determine the formation this was found in, this may or may not rule out crab.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I found it in a quarry in the Quachita Mts in Arkansas. I have a top view that looks to me as if it split but I also saw baby Jesus in a slab of limestone a while back. I cannot upload the picture with the split part. I may dig around. If it is a crab, it looks to be in bad shape. Of course, my photo skills are not that great. Thanks for replying. I did find a huge shrimp that is perfect. It may be something else but it looks like a shrimp or a lobster. 

5 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I don't see anything resembling a crab either, but if you have a photo program, then maybe you could mark the photos to outline what you're seeing.

I was thinking the same thing. If the OP could outline what they are seeing, maybe it would help. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, jeannie55 said:

find a huge shrimp that is perfect

Can you show us an image of the shrimp?  I do not see any crabs in this photo.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Depending on where in the Arkansas Ouachitas the rocks were collected, they could be Cambrian, Ordovician, Mississippian, or Pennsylvanian. Crabs and shrimp don’t show up in the fossil record until the Jurassic.

• I found this Informative 3

Ive prepped put a couple of crabs in my day and im not seeing crab.  Im thinking that the imagination might be working overtime?

RB

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ive prepped put a couple of crabs in my day

Only a couple? :Confused02:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I have a picture of what I think is a shrimp but it may be something else. It’s awfully long and has a large round head. I’ll try to post it here. E5397BA1-EB37-4B68-911F-6C83C8D8ED59.thumb.jpeg.5cc4c10961a021f212efc94950fb4721.jpeg

That is at best, an orthocone nautiloid. Most likely a case of pareidolia, our mind’s propensity for finding recognizable forms in random places.

The lines don’t look uniform enough to be biological to me.

Actually, my daughter has much better eyesight than I said there are what she thinks are two things where one is longer and the one on top is broken. I am used to finding much smaller pieces of coral animals. The rock that holds the thing In question is large and has many smaller pieces easier for me to identify. I think it will go in my daughter’s rock garden. Well, it isn’t just a rock garden but she does have better luck with the rocks than the flowers she plants. 

Moved to FOSSIL ID;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015