Enchodus or Pachyrhizodus or Xiphactinus or Apateodus

butchndad

For the rank amateurs here is it possible to explain the differences and how to identify these teeth?  Of lesser importance I am attaching photos of 3 inch to inch and a half teeth I had previously thought were all Enchodus and then 2 small half inch fragments found yesterday, both heavily striated.  As always thank you all

DC06CF1D-6288-4798-B096-82ED38545DEC.jpeg

6EA53243-AFC6-4A59-9BD2-23B5C8DAD793.jpeg

C0CE69B9-ACAD-4A76-8A80-37C89339A721.jpeg

Well, first of all, thank you for mentioning the presence of Apateodus in New Jersey! :)

So here's what we have - on the first three, we are looking at Enchodus fangs. The roots are completely diagnostic. The best way I can describe the difference is that on Apateodus, the roots are so hollow that they can easily be mis-identified as croc or other reptile. Also, the bases of the teeth have a 'wrinkled' look.

The next two are pretty interesting to me. By any chance, is there any root remaining?

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Well, first of all, thank you for mentioning the presence of Apateodus in New Jersey! :)

So here's what we have - on the first three, we are looking at Enchodus fangs. The roots are completely diagnostic. The best way I can describe the difference is that on Apateodus, the roots are so hollow that they can easily be mis-identified as croc or other reptile. Also, the bases of the teeth have a 'wrinkled' look.

The next two are pretty interesting to me. By any chance, is there any root remaining?

your post was the reason for most question in the first place

unfortunately no root for either.  Would anything else help?  

I would mail them to you for a closer look if that would help

Let's try between pictures of the top one in picture 2. It's probably a broken enchodus but I'm not sure. Fragments are tough 'in hand' too..

14 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Let's try between pictures of the top one in picture 2. It's probably a broken enchodus but I'm not sure. Fragments are tough 'in hand' too..

Here are the best photos I can take with my phone: front, back, top and bottom. What I see are striations and no carina. Please let me know what you think. Thank you

57FE2B15-704C-4722-9105-1C88C2D0BFD6.jpeg

0EB7D5B9-ABB6-4667-B9C6-0E7E0A8C302A.jpeg

B94B6610-705C-4FEB-ABD8-D317F25B4138.jpeg

EAAB44AD-9156-4196-8A6C-823A643A1F78.jpeg

Well, the lack of carinae eliminates most species. I personally think it's the tip of a bigger Plesiosaur tooth, as it gets more narrow towards the tip but with variability of croc teeth, I wouldn't want to say 100%.