In search of rudists

marguy

having been unable to go out a full day to search for fossils for several months due to health problems, thanks to a recent improvement I went yesterday about 100 km from my home to see a site where rudists were found.

The first fossil encountered was a huge colony of cone-shaped bryozoans which had fallen and overturned in a depression. (can be 150kg?). I forgot to take my centimeter scale, so in the photos there is my foot, my hand or my fingers ....

Then, I found a rock rich in small Exogyra and rare Rhynchonella.

Finally, the rudists were there, in a wall (only for the photo, impossible to extract without damage, hope they will remain visible for the next visitors) and some specimen more fragile or altered in scree.

I will post photos of the collected samples later because they are very muddy and require a good bath ...(Sorry, Franz, you have to wait some days :popcorn:)

For me it was a great day in the sun, just before the rain returned today!

DSCN1154.JPG

DSCN1159.JPG

DSCN1157.JPG

DSCN1158.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Nice! We see plenty of them in the Cretaceous of Central Texas.  Most are locked in the matrix like yours but occasionally we get lucky and find specimens eroded from the matrix.  I collected some very nice specimens of Toucasia recently. They are Albian in age.

IMG_6385.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Here are some additional photos of my finds: a set of rhynchonellids, exogyrs, bryozoans and a bioturbation; set of rudists (in 2 crates); detail of structure on a shell fragment; fragments of large hippuritids; wood (jet)

DSCN1186.JPG

DSCN1194.JPG

DSCN1195.JPG

DSCN1200.JPG

DSCN1201.JPG

DSCN1202.JPG

DSCN1204.JPG

That's an impressive selection of fossils you've found!  Congratulations on the successful rudist hunt :thumbsu:

You have got a nice collection of radiolitids and brachiopods there, @marguy. Thanks for sharing.

I like also the jet very much! Nice specimen.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

20200503_125047.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

Hello ,French rudist from the Urgonien stage of the barremien. I find in a quarry at Orgon the locality of the Urgonien stage ,you have 2 requiena ammonia and a Tocasia carinata.

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

20200503_125108.jpg

one monopleura and sea urchin   ,2 pygolus desmoulensis and 2heteraster oblongus

20200503_125200.jpg

more detail