Mosasaur prep series, pterygoid

snolly50

This post series will attempt to illustrate a minor prep project of a Moroccan mosasaur fossil. It is hoped it will encourage others to attempt a similar project, using simple tools.

Thanks to Forum members @DPS Ammonite and @LordTrilobite for their helpful pre-acquisition comments. Special thanks to @jnoun11 for his ID verification of the piece and clarification of the fossil's precise place of origin.

The Moroccan seller listed the fossil simply as "Mosasaur, 9 cm X 6.5 cm, Cretaceous, Khouribga, Morocco"

Here is a photo from the seller. Note the large coprolite resting beneath the rearmost tooth.

mos2.thumb.JPG.790398397adf1edee2b1a227e843756d.JPG

Unfortunately and not unexpectedly, the piece arrived damaged. At first glance it did not appear too severe. However close inspection revealed cracks in the matrix that ran to and beneath the two rear teeth.

DSCN3615ac.thumb.jpg.7aa9c04b33ea3764bf0544543af6964b.jpgDSCN3616ac.thumb.jpg.d282796464b483ae940b476998e3fac3.jpg

As an interesting aside, the break in the coprolite revealed an internal color pattern.

DSCN3619ac.thumb.jpg.125de450524beac0aace0582a38aa490.jpg

To be continued.....

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Nice. Looking forward to seeing how you prep this.

Also, have you noticed coprolites like that often have a sweet kind of smell when broken apart?

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Mosasaur Prep series continued...

YIKES!!! This image shows one of the fracture lines spanning another area of the coprolite and extending to the base of the tooth's crown.

DSCN3685ac.thumb.jpg.783f13cf9a80276465fd4f4ff7023bb7.jpg

What to do? One viable option - glue the coprolite back in place and douse with Vinac, hoping to remedy the crack peril. The fossil would display nicely and a sane person would leave it alone after that small effort to insure its stability.

The following image nicely illustrates snolly's thought process as he mulled, how to proceed. 

TylosaurusMain.png.06e89005fcab3737373300e7265e1636.png  

"Just leave it alone it will look great." "I want the teeth and display side matrix free." "You're asking for trouble snolly, leave it alone!" "Nawww!"

With that conflict settled, work began. A carbide needle in pin vise, Xacto blade and sewing needles were employed. An ElectroStylus was used sparingly because of the fractures. Fortunately, the granular Moroccan matrix yields nicely to little pressure.

To be continued....

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Mosasaur prep continued....

YIKES!!! As predicted the rear teeth were only held in place by the compromised matrix.

DSCN3687ac.thumb.jpg.ddebdbe30ee3c04a875aa1d5962f058b.jpg

The matrix removal continued, complicated by an assortment of fossil detritus. Here a possible fish vertebra has been removed.

DSCN3693ac.thumb.jpg.c25c418d6c5225509c674d307fb60ebf.jpg

Here is a large bone chunk shown on the reverse of the piece. It proved problematic as it displayed a "sticky" affinity for the backs of the foremost teeth.

DSCN3695ac.thumb.jpg.381c4dfcc5196719e4fb78f7c593cdcb.jpg

to be continued....

• I found this Informative 4

Mosasaur prep continued...

The random bone was painstakingly separated from the teeth.

DSCN3700ac.thumb.jpg.466c393f87a9cb6beff091e1f440c2a7.jpg

Little by little the matrix was worried away, until finally the large fragment gave up its tight hold on the teeth.

DSCN3701ac.thumb.jpg.a44acb33881d32aedd4e38ecf1f8f783.jpg

Finally FREE, the teeth were liberated completely from the matrix. The margin of matrix visible at the top of the piece was easily removed without difficulty. This left the display side matrix free, while the reverse maintained a supportive matrix backing to the bone. Now, the two missing teeth were restored. In the photo, a toothpick section may be seen inserted in the root canal to add reinforcement for reattachment. 

DSCN3714ac.thumb.jpg.9a887e1660307b28404a7be88b2f0bda.jpg

To be continued....

• I found this Informative 7

With the two teeth now reattached, the entire piece was slathered in Vinac. A 1 to 50 ratio of Vinac beads to acetone was employed. The teeth were attached with "superglue," which dissolves in acetone. However, the surface coating of the piece did not penetrate to such an extent to cause mischief. If a glued piece was soaked in Vinac, such a positive outcome might not be possible.

DSCN3742ac.thumb.jpg.421e2e866e2ca9da72c44a101fc233da.jpg

Consideration turned to display options. A suitably sized piece of hardwood was selected fron snolly's cache. Brass stock was bent to accommodation. Pictured is 1/8" stock. It was deemed overly heavy for the task and 3/32 brass was ultimately used to cobble the stand. The wood was sanded, drilled and finished. 

DSCN3744ac.thumb.jpg.b86de5ea918869ab3c6196ffd2136aef.jpg

To be continued....

• I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 1

Here is the piece, monkeyed with as much as I intend to inflict upon it.

DSCN3755acz.thumb.jpg.cbc8298771fc0bfe6ca46646d0dbad0e.jpg

Here it is mounted on the finished stand.

Partial pterygoid process

Tylosaur

Maasstrichtian age

Former Tadla-Azilal region of Morocco

Level 3 of the Mera Al Arech Phosphate Mine

DSC_5325acz.thumb.jpg.18bce82f3717cbc451104d55d199a26f.jpg

A fun project. Thanks for looking.

• I found this Informative 16
  • Enjoyed 4

Mosasaur prep series - mystery bones. Does anyone have a clue? Each piece is about 1" at its largest. 

The first, not a mystery, the coprolite. A feature of interest, however, is seen on the larger fragment at the crack. This is an imprint of the end of the tooth that it rested beneath.

DSCN3713ac.thumb.jpg.421a3a29be9a7e5bd82f6b6d3a2cfb17.jpg

Mystery one, front and back, it was removed from the rear of the slab.

DSCN3725ac.jpg.e6a76ae204696d2f12572dda38fa47ac.jpg

DSCN3726ac.jpg.01651dd0c3ce596e9be936cd44293c24.jpg

Here is the object that was hugging the larger forward teeth.

DSCN3719ac.thumb.jpg.c2e51e3b740ef8374af18a6785910a76.jpg

Any ideas?

DSC_5332acz.thumb.jpg.5a26319d133e0ac3cb1139d2b8960159.jpg

Searching for the optimal placement for the new piece; it is temporarily parked next to (and dwarfed by) the Prognathodon jaw section featured in a previous prep series. Sorry for the dreadful flash photography.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Great thread @snolly50 glad to see you’re still up to no good. :heartylaugh:

I’m always happy to see your total disregard for the sane, safe path. The specimen is much happier now.

Just now, Ptychodus04 said:

you’re still up to no good.

"Go with your strengths," I always say. 

Thanks for the supportive comments and the citations of "informative." I occasionally see comments about preparation on the Forum that contain the theme, "I don't know where to start...never done it before...don't have a pneumatic scribe/air abrader." While expensive tools are indispensable in some types of prep and experience always helps; much can be accomplished with simple tools and patience. Of course choosing the "right" fossil/matrix goes a long way in determining success. It is hoped that the minor prep demonstrated in this thread will serve as a positive affirmation to those hesitant folk who are drawn to the satisfying activity of prep work. Give it a try, it's great, relaxing fun.  

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

Thanks for the supportive comments and the citations of "informative." I occasionally see comments about preparation on the Forum that contain the theme, "I don't know where to start...never done it before...don't have a pneumatic scribe/air abrader." While expensive tools are indispensable in some types of prep and experience always helps; much can be accomplished with simple tools and patience. Of course choosing the "right" fossil/matrix goes a long way in determining success. It is hoped that the minor prep demonstrated in this thread will serve as a positive affirmation to those hesitant folk who are drawn to the satisfying activity of prep work. Give it a try, it's great, relaxing fun.  

Of course being "The Snolly" doesn't hurt any, either. :thumbsu:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

• Fossildude19 pinned this topic

Pinned! I hope everyone reading this gets the prep bug, and goes out on a limb to try something new.   :b_wdremel:

What a great, informative topic, John!    Thanks for posting this.

Well done, sir.   :tiphat:

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 hours ago, daves64 said:

being "The Snolly"

It's a dirty job; but somebody's got to do it!

10 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

What a great, informative topic, John!    Thanks for posting this.

Well done, sir.   :tiphat:

Indeed!  Thanks for the informative post.  :default_clap2: