Belemnite preparation sweden

Jurassicz1

I have noticed when prepping swedish belemites that when i remove matrix and shell fragments small holes come up. And its very annoying. Is there any cause to this? Is it just how i prep? I hope u can see it in the pictures. Should i polish it? Hope that someone knows the cause :)

16037007061452564592153791460730.thumb.jpg.83e004f3d78612f1d9ab34482a42f270.jpg

16037007371401042928900652161738.jpg

F9EABADE-2851-4E58-9E89-E11E8E414B1D.jpeg

6697D146-F0D9-4C44-8426-8D59B986B16A.jpeg

They were attacked by all sorts of things as well as boring sponges, for example grazing echinoids, brachiopod pedicle attachments, various worms, bivalves, barnacles, algae…

Never polish belemnites unless you just want jewellery - so much information can be lost, including detail of furrows which are important for identification.

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin

On the creataceous Belemnites that we find, we also find from time to time long small groves on them. those are bite marks from sharks. It is always nice to find those, it ads a little bit more storry to them.

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

The most features (whom I think you mean them) are diagenetic features, not bioerosional ones. There is a thin calcite-skin on most of the clasts&fossils in Ignaberga-Limestones (but not in places where you have a grain-to-grain-contact). If you remove the small grains you expose holes in this calcite layer.

But ofcourse you can find bioerosion on those belemnites like mentioned by @TqB, too (but less compared to strata where you have less hardgrounds available). Opposite, gnaw marks mentioned by @Manticocerasman are more abundant (but not abundant at all) at Ignabergas Cretaceous.

Back to your question: in my opinion you should not polish, and sometimes less preparation is more/better preparation....

• I found this Informative 1