An imprint of dinosaur underwear?

Fluffykins

Hullo everyone. This was picked up on a beach in East Ruston, Norfolk, UK. The parent rock is flint, I think, as is most of the rock on that beach. 

The rock carries a textured feature in a hollow. I didn't have anything other than that 18mm (~3/4 inch) 5p coin for scale.

The feature appears to be mineral. It can be chipped out with a blade and the fragments are gritty. 

It's probably humdrum but I'd like to understand what I've found so thanks to everyone for looking.

IMG_20201026_162040.jpg

It kinda looks like a Bryzoan to me, although I am not sure. 
Some of the experts will probably be able to chime in and give some more clarity :) 

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

Definitely an encrusting bryozoan. Therefore the layers beneath it are likely the shell that it lived on the concave (in)side of. 

:) 

As mentioned by others it is an encrusting bryozoan. They way you've described it as chipping off and gritty makes me think it is in fact a modern bryozoan. You said it was found on a beach and it isn't unusual to find modern bryozoans encrusting whatever they can in the water. I've even found modern bryozoans encrusting over fossil bryozoans encrusting fossil shell.

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

As mentioned by others it is an encrusting bryozoan. They way you've described it as chipping off and gritty makes me think it is in fact a modern bryozoan. You said it was found on a beach and it isn't unusual to find modern bryozoans encrusting whatever they can in the water. I've even found modern bryozoans encrusting over fossil bryozoans encrusting fossil shell.

I agonized a bit over that look myself. I'm not real sure if it could be modern.

Thanks everyone for your quick answers. It's been a good start to the week, with this little find and a (confirmed) piece of neanderthal worked flint from a beach near Bacton, Norfolk, UK. (Said beach has had 1.8 million cubic meters of sand pumped into it to slow down erosion near the Bacton Gas Terminal. There's a LOT of new material there).

22 minutes ago, Fluffykins said:

Thanks everyone for your quick answers. It's been a good start to the week, with this little find and a (confirmed) piece of neanderthal worked flint from a beach near Bacton, Norfolk, UK. (Said beach has had 1.8 million cubic meters of sand pumped into it to slow down erosion near the Bacton Gas Terminal. There's a LOT of new material there).

I'd give a small sample of it the acetic acid soak overnight. If nothing remains but powder, I'd put my money on extant species.

18 minutes ago, Fluffykins said:

Sounds like a plan. Chips with vinegar - can't beat it.

Thanks

It’s a good find either way! I work with extant inverts, and we have been trying to grow a bryo like this in our reef for a while!

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

I'd give a small sample of it the acetic acid soak overnight. If nothing remains but powder, I'd put my money on extant species.

If there are pockets of carbonate in the flint you will have dissolved away a fossil and proven nothing.

• I found this Informative 1

True, but this one is pretty uniform and if the residue leftovers are white that’s indicative of fossil. If it’s just brown/gray sludge with little or no white I vote extant. Hence distilled vinegar (5 -9% acetic acid) which won’t affect silicates instead of murietic (37%HCl) which would dissociate and bleach both the carbonates and the silicates.

truth is it looks extant to me. I’d love to get it under the SEM!