tanystropheus tooth

FF7_Yuffie

Hello, any thoughts on this ? it is sold as tanystropheus tooth from Middle Triassic deposits of Wurzburg, Germany. 17mm in length.

Edit: Formation is Muschelkalk.

Hope it checks out. I've always had a fondness for long neckes tanystropheus. I see nothosaur teeth look similar, but seem to be quite distinctly curved, so im hopeful this isnt as misidentified nothosaur.

Thanks

2272_0.jpeg

2272_1.jpeg

2272_2.jpeg

I found a picture of one labeled as such online, a dealer in German fossils. It resembles what you have 

98_0.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

2 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I found a picture of one labeled as such online, a dealer in German fossils. It resembles what you have 

98_0.jpg

Cheers, thanks for having a look.

I think this is one by same seller. 

• 1 month later...

If the tooth posted by @hemipristis is really from the same seller, I think you can be rather safe in assuming your tooth to be Tanystropheus sp., as I've dealt with the same dealer on numerous occasions in the past, and have found his identifications to be quite accurate over those occasions, especially as concerns Triassic finds - some of which, at least, he makes himself as well. In general, Tanystropheus sp. teeth can be distinguished from nothosaurid teeth by virtue of the striations on a Tanystropheus tooth being spaced further apart, them being slightly less rounded, and them being entirely absent on the bottom part of the tooth.

These characters are shown to perfection in the tooth @hemipristis posted, but are less obvious in the tooth originally asked about. Thus, if I were to wager the identity of that tooth, I'd say nothosaur rather than Tanystropheus. That being what it is, these types of teeth are so similar that, in the past, certain Tanystropheus teeth have been attributed names within the nothosaurid clade, Nothosaurus blezingeri being an example hereof. Compare with the below image:

5fd0b014e9683_Nothosaurusblezingeri.thumb.jpg.259941c00a9475882d62ae1c254f667f.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

If the tooth posted by @hemipristis is really from the same seller, I think you can be rather safe in assuming your tooth to be Tanystropheus sp., as I've dealt with the same dealer on numerous occasions in the past, and have found his identifications to be quite accurate over those occasions, especially as concerns Triassic finds - some of which, at least, he makes himself as well. In general, Tanystropheus sp. teeth can be distinguished from nothosaurid teeth by virtue of the striations on a Tanystropheus tooth being spaced further apart, them being slightly less rounded, and them being entirely absent on the bottom part of the tooth.

These characters are shown to perfection in the tooth @hemipristis posted, but are less obvious in the tooth originally asked about. Thus, if I were to wager the identity of that tooth, I'd say nothosaur rather than Tanystropheus. That being what it is, these types of teeth are so similar that, in the past, certain Tanystropheus teeth have been attributed names within the nothosaurid clade, Nothosaurus blezingeri being an example hereof. Compare with the below image:

5fd0b014e9683_Nothosaurusblezingeri.thumb.jpg.259941c00a9475882d62ae1c254f667f.jpg

Thanks for the info. I purchased the tooth a while back, but it's good to have the info on the differences between the two and confirmation that it's good. This is one that he did find himself.