spinosaurus reconstruction

jnoun11

hi

i try to reconstruct a spinosaurus skeleton, i miss some bones of course, lot of bones ares in privates collection,and it s difficult to access them.

my idea is : if you have in your collection some cervicals vertebrae or dorsals , the size is not a problem, i look for 3D models of them.

i look also for the 3D models bones of the front limbs.

thanks for help in this project.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

hi

thanks for help, i will contact you in MP.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

hi

i come back from the kem kem field, i find some cervicals vertebrae, now, i need your opinion about the position.

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

perhaps C9 ?

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

this one is more problematic because of the lack of the central pneumatic foramen... perhaps it s not spinosaurus. and for the eventual position i think D3.

IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

what about this one, i have difficulty to find her place, perhaps C8 ?

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

3 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

hi

i come back from the kem kem field, i find some cervicals vertebrae, now, i need your opinion about the position.

IMG_0962.JPGIMG_0963.jpgIMG_0966.jpgIMG_0967.jpg

With juveniles and adults mixed together it's hard to tell exactly which positions some verts should be. The first three all look like anterior cervical. If I had to make a choice I think your IDs for 3, 4 and 5 are probably mostly correct. The more complete vert is hard because it's laterally crushed. Due to the keel and ventral plateau I think this is Sigilmassasaurus and not Spinosaurus. I'm thinking more like C7 due to the angle of the postzygapophyses and the lack of an epi on it.

2 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

perhaps C9 ?

IMG_0969.JPGIMG_0970.JPG

Definitely posterior cervical. C9 or C10.

this one is more problematic because of the lack of the central pneumatic foramen... perhaps it s not spinosaurus. and for the eventual position i think D3.

IMG_0971.JPGIMG_0972.JPG

I'm thinking anterior dorsal. Ibrahim doesn't think there's more than one spinosaurid in the Kem Kem beds. But I'm not really convinced that the the keel and triangular plateau is due to just the positions of the vertebrae. There do seem to be at least 2 distinct morphotypes. But the morphotype without the ventral plateau does seem to have a keel around the base of the neck. So I think this is just a normal anterior dorsal vert. It's longer than the D3 in Evers' neck reconstruction. So I'm thinking maybe D4.

what about this one, i have difficulty to find her place, perhaps C8 ?

IMG_0975.JPGIMG_0976.JPG

Yeah, maybe C8. Or perhaps more anteriorly if Sigilmassasaurus is valid.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

hi my lord

for the moment , i understand must existing some different morphotypes, i mostly have now everything for scanning and modifying on a computer and realizing the neck of spinosaurus. i allready have the axis in good conditions and C7 in bad conditions.

now i try to understand more the form of the dorsales vertebrae , i have complete C7, C8 and C9 with apophysis, now i look for the posterior dorsales vertebrae informations.

and also a humerus ,scapula coracoids, and front limbs 3D models.

like you said lot of material from jorf is jung specimens, making me thinking jorf was a spinosaurus nursery. its very interesting field for me , trying to understand the anatomy of this spinosaurus.

if you have some reading or paper about the dorsal part , i like to have a list the title so i will try to find them on internet.

I don't think there are any good papers that elaborate on the dorsal vertebrae of Spinosaurus besides Stromer's original description.

two vertebrae probably pre sacral something after D9 perhaps D10 or D11

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

apophysis of D3 or D4

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

53 minutes ago, jnoun11 said:

two vertebrae probably pre sacral something after D9 perhaps D10 or D11

IMG_0978.JPGIMG_0980.JPG

Yeah, both of these look like posterior dorsal verts to me due to the flattened convex front.

suchobras.jpg

hi

thanks for the help, now the neck is in process to be reconstructed, i look now for the front limbs bones, did someone of you have some bones from the front limbs?

This is a seller at the tucson show with a composite hand.  I dont believe all the small phalanx belong to the hand but footSpinoHand2.thumb.jpg.d692f224694f033d7518ba6f972b8080.jpgSpinoHand3a.thumb.jpg.2c411f369b34dac877a42acf00ae161a.jpg

SpinoHand4.thumb.jpg.9690fd979307f81febb3723e70610873.jpgSpinoHand1.thumb.jpg.d3037499e833b59a591965589ab5cdce.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi

super troodon , did you have digitalized this bones?

i have a question about dorsals of spinosaurus: what is for you the numbers of dorsals vertebrae in spinosaurus ? lot of skeleton on internet but with different numbers of vertebrae.

actually i think, 10 cervicals, 13 dorsals,5 sacrals .

can somebody confirm this numbers?

No I just have photos on the bones

Do accurate numbers exist on the number of vertebra since no articulated skeleton has been found.

Ibrahim et al latest reconstruction

Spino2.JPG.093fe5dc693778576c504451d5ff5932.JPG

and the caudals

spino.thumb.JPG.e6f3e8f98717d1ed5de449e6d4e96bf7.JPG

hi

super troodon , did you have digitalized this bones?

i have a question about dorsals of spinosaurus: what is for you the numbers of dorsals vertebrae in spinosaurus ? lot of skeleton on internet but with different numbers of vertebrae.

actually i think, 10 cervicals, 13 dorsals,5 sacrals .

can somebody confirm this numbers?

Since the neotype is incomplete I think it's best to just look at the most complete spinosaurid dorsal series. Suchomimus seems to have 13 dorsal vertebrae preserved but still room for more.
F3.large.thumb.jpg.33e4fbea804aca029ef13f2b5450768a.jpg

Baryonyx has a few dorsals preserved. But it's also not entirely clear how many dorsals it had in total.

Baryonyx.jpg.6650d94cb538d7f50796127312b494e5.jpg

Vallibonavenatrix and Ichthyovenator also have some dorsals known but it's very scrappy.

thanks for the informations, i will try the number 13, until more update. i will used the del sasso reconstructions.

its a very long process to rebuild a dinosaur , so many interactions beetween each bones , orientation of the spines, angle of the zygapophysis for understand the curve of the neck , etc...

hi

i see one problem in the reconstructions of spinosaurus...

all reconstruction show relatively big neural apophysis on cervicals...but the neural apophysis on cervicals didnt have this square flat apophysis, did someone of you have a picture of cervicals with apophysis (like on reconstruction, flat and square), if yes, that mean its a list two different kind of tenaturae.