What Is The Complete List Of Dinosaur Species Known From Hell Creek, Including Tooth Taxons And Synonymous Species?

Mioplosus_Lover24

I have yet to see a conclusive list of EVERY dinosaur known from the Hell Creek Formation, I am curious if anyone has one or knows all the dinosaurs, thank you!

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Here is a list from 2004.  @Troodon can provide any additional updates or corrections. :ank:

Weishampel, D.B., Dodson, P. & Osmólska, H. (editors) 2004

The Dinosauria. 2nd Edition. University of California Press, 861 pp.

image.thumb.png.93946d61b9eec107acdb19aedfb8b151.png

• I found this Informative 6

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I don't believe a current conclusive list exists or will ever.  It all depends on which paleontologist you are having a discussion with and when.   For example some believe that ontogenetic changes reduce the number of Pachycephalosaurs, Ceratopsians and Tyrannosaurids that are present in this assemblage.  Also some species that are described are controversial like Tatankaceratops.  So its fluid and contentious so one needs to keep an open mind but I've attached my view and with new discoveries those will change.

Dinosaur Faunal List Hell Creek.docx

Not included in this list that I view as invalid or synonymous with other species

Dracorex hogwartsia

Stygimoloch spinifer

cf Zapasalis abradens

• I found this Informative 8

On 10/28/2020 at 1:29 PM, Troodon said:

I don't believe a current conclusive list exists or will ever.  It all depends on which paleontologist you are having a discussion with and when.   For example some believe that ontogenetic changes reduce the number of Pachycephalosaurs, Ceratopsians and Tyrannosaurids that are present in this assemblage.  Also some species that are described are controversial like Tatankaceratops.  So its fluid and contentious so one needs to keep an open mind but I've attached my view and with new discoveries those will change.

Dinosaur Faunal List Hell Creek.docx

Not included in this list that I view as invalid or synonymous with other species

Dracorex hogwartsia

Stygimoloch spinifer

cf Zapasalis abradens

Thanks its amazing how the current landscape makes that 2004 list almost completely obsolete.  Just the last 10 years has seen so many new discoveries and named species.

29 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Thanks its amazing how the current landscape makes that 2004 list almost completely obsolete.  Just the last 10 years has seen so many new discoveries and named species.

Thanks, yes anything listed just a few years ago is of little value since just the last five years our understanding of the HC/Lance has changed significantly and hopefully will continue to expand with new discoveries.  This new knowledge has also created lots of controversy among paleontologists.