Help ID a fossil

Dfowler

This fossil was found in Nicholas County, KY. USA. I believe it is a branching fossil from Devonian strata period but not sure. I appreciate any information . Also curious if its worth anything. Thanks!

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_1(1).jpg

Looks like a bryozoan. Couldn't say which, though. We don't do evaluations here, but I could at least tell you that these fossils are extremely common.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Agreed that it is a branching bryozoan.

In terms of worth, as per the Forum rules you agreed to upon registering, we do not provide valuations. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Constellaria? I'm no bryozoan expert but I've seen them in guides/reports and they seem pretty distinctive.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Constellaria? I'm no bryozoan expert but I've seen them in guides/reports and they seem pretty distinctive.

Cursory map review suggests that the county includes mostly Ordovician strata with some Silurian and Devonian as well.  But this does look a whole lot like the Ordovician Bryozoan Constellaria.  As the name suggests they are covered in a constellation of star-shaped monticules (bumps on bryozoa).

• I found this Informative 2

piece of Constellaria sp. Upper Ordovician, a bryozoa

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

As for knowing its worth, it has the worth you will to give to it. I think it is worth enough to keep it in your collection because it's a nice fossil.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg