SAFETY! Proper and Improper Tool Use PDF.

FossilNerd

I came across this .pdf guide for the proper and improper use of tools. I thought others may find it useful. We don’t use all these tools in fossil collecting, but some sections seem pertinent, specifically the section on hammers. There is also advice about crowbars, chisels, screwdrivers, and punches, which find their way into my collecting gear from time to time. This is one companies take on how to properly use their tools (and keep them out of trouble), so your mileage may vary,  but it seems a good general document on the dos and don’ts of tool use.

https://www.ampcosafetytools.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/chart.pdf

ToolUse.pdf

Edited by FossilNerd
Uploaded PDF directly to TFF for posterity sake.
  • I found this Informative 10

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• Fossildude19 changed the title to SAFETY! Proper and Improper Tool Use PDF.
  • Fossildude19 pinned this topic

Great addition here, Wayne!   :SlapHands:

Thanks for posting this. 

I've added to your title, and pinned this. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

16 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great addition here, Wayne!   :SlapHands:

Thanks for posting this. 

I've added to your title, and pinned this. 

Thanks Tim! Glad to help out.

I like your title better. Thanks for the assist and pin! :) 

EDIT: Since the topic has been pinned, I uploaded the pdf directly to TFF. Just in case the link breaks or changes. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

No one should get hurt or have their day ruined by injuries caused by improper tool usage, just for some fossils. 

The older I get, the more conscious I am of the stupid or thoughtless things I have done in the past, that could have ended very badly. 

The earlier you start with safety consciousness, the better! :) 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great observation, @Fossildude19

However, I did get pretty tickled at some of the "Don't" statements. I may or may not have done some of these, considered them or watched them in action:

-->Don't use a screwdriver to check a storage battery or to determine if an electrical circuit is live.

-->Don't use snips as a hammer, a screwdriver or a pry bar. There are tools for such purposes—use them.

-->Never use an extension on the wrench handle.

8 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

I did get pretty tickled at some of the "Don't" statements

Yep, I hear ya.

I had a high school buddy who liked to use a coat hanger to check electric circuits.  He'd take the coat hanger apart to form a single piece of wire and stick each end into each side of an electrical plug to see if it was functioning.  He actually got a thrill out of the "charge" he received.  He's dead now, of course.  True story!  :unsure:

Hmmm...my trusty adjustable crescent hammer isn't mentioned....

t10001-Mining_Wrench__71666.1552415307.1280.1280.png?c=2

Oh..turns out Crescent doesn't make these anymore...

:s_cry:

• I found this Informative 1

I found a few more pdfs related to tool usage. Figured I would go ahead and share them here.

Here is a safety tip sheet from Estwing. A favorite hammer company for many here (myself included! :) ). 

Estwing-Safety-Usage-Tips.pdf

A couple more safety sheets specifically for hammers.

Hand Tools - Hammers _ OSH Answers.pdf

Safe hammer handling.pdf

Finally another generic tool safety guide. This is similar to to the first one I posted, but focuses more on hammers, chisels, and punches. 

HandToolSafety.pdf

• I found this Informative 1