Wierd tubular fossil

Leslielauren

Nice find. I suppose they could be some other trace/burrow but I'm wondering if it might be a coral trace based on the vague orientation...possibly something like Syringopora....Are there any striations on the sides of the tubes that you can see or any apparent connections between the tubes? wait for some of the invertebrate folks to chime in...im just guessing...

Regards, Chris 

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Internal molds of a cluster of rudists. One of the few found in the chalk I believe.

Yeah, first thing crossed my mind. Rudists are one of the most common fossils in the western and central Kansas limestone, from Greenhorn formation to Niobrara formation.

• I found this Informative 1

cone-in-cone structures?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, abyssunder said:

cone-in-cone structures?

I really doubt it. I do not see any patterns resembling cone-in-cone structures. 

1 hour ago, Darbi said:

I really doubt it. I do not see any patterns resembling cone-in-cone structures. 

Maybe you can post a few pictures showing your specimen from other sides?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Glad to see all of the other comments. Rudists make sense.

Being way to curious I'd also like to see some other views as abyssunder mentioned above if you've got the additional time.

Can we confirm the county so I can learn a little bit about the geology/rocks there...Here's the Kansas Geologic Map that allows you to drill down into what formations/rocks and their ages are exposed in the county...thanks. 

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/Geology/index.html

Map of Kansas showing county map status. Text links below.

Regards, Chris 

On 11/2/2020 at 4:45 PM, abyssunder said:

Maybe you can post a few pictures showing your specimen from other sides?

Here's a couple cone-in-cone structures I found in the central Kansas. Other than stacked cones pattern, it is also fibrous. It splinters like wood when it breaks off.

20200403_171253_compress60.thumb.jpg.439168488218ceb83fa979a10c844236.jpg20200403_170956_compress6.thumb.jpg.fa6ecc8f21b78f427689f3e6bb698ab5.jpg

Here's a few rudists I found in the western Kansas from Niobrara formation. This is why I thought the one in OP's pictures are interior mold of rudists. So, in this case, I agree with @Rockwood  and @erose's identification.

20201103_151508_compress77.thumb.jpg.917e02af619e16e69ece25605720cfe9.jpg

20201103_151539_compress60.thumb.jpg.eabd7a20eeda2de46b43188ff62bb7d3.jpg