Comfort for my Elbows

Nimravis

Today was I was in a large Home Improvement store and in the flooring section I saw these cool little 8” by 8” pieces of carpet. Right when I saw them, I could see myself lying on the ground at St. Leon, Indiana, looking in the butter shale for trilobites and complaining about rocks digging into my elbows. I will place a couple of these in my pack when I collect. They don’t weigh anything, can be used for my elbows or knees and the best part is- they are FREE.

052DA7E2-37A9-460D-832D-FE671938D052.thumb.jpeg.2dab73ab74c7d06c71f756b2be76c55f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

47 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Today was I was in a large Home Improvement store and in the flooring section I saw these cool little 8” by 8” pieces of carpet. Right when I saw them, I could see myself lying on the ground at St. Leon, Indiana, looking in the butter shale for trilobites and complaining about rocks digging into my elbows. I will place a couple of these in my pack when I collect. They don’t weigh anything, can be used for my elbows or knees and the best part is- they are FREE.

052DA7E2-37A9-460D-832D-FE671938D052.thumb.jpeg.2dab73ab74c7d06c71f756b2be76c55f.jpeg

Nice! I do something similar with sections of a yoga mat my wife (thankfully!) never uses. I tuck them into my snake boots and back pants pockets...which is easy on the bum when sitting.

• I found this Informative 1

plus one on the yoga mat's, have found several in garage sales. Work well under sleeping bags in a tent or on the ground working on a car. It seems like the high school basket ball players wore elbow pads for falls? 1960's. 

14 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

plus one on the yoga mat's, have found several in garage sales. Work well under sleeping bags in a tent or on the ground working on a car. It seems like the high school basket ball players wore elbow pads for falls? 1960's. 

Yeah, I tried various sports pads, but I have skinny scarecrow arms and found them uncomfortable, but a rig like yours is great in the field. You can use them to protect specimens too!

Thanks for the tip Ralph! I have a remanent left over from carpet recently being installed in my basement. Now I know what to do with it! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 4 months later...

I'll add to the library of ideas here even though its an old thread.

At an army surplus ten bucks bought me a closed cell full length sleeping pad.  From this I cut out custom fitted pads for each backpack in the family.  They snugly fit each pack against the hiker's back to help cushion the load.   When we stop they become kneel pads, sit pads, dry spots to set down other gear,.... in emergencies they are soft splints or padding for field made rigid splints...... and once in awhile mine has been taped up around a fragile fossil found when we weren't really packing to do geology!

There were lots of scraps left over from which one could easily make some knee and elbow protectors.