Well, here is my big trilobite I found...

DLowe69

I had mentioned in prior posts that I had found a large trilobite (Isotelus apparently) and I just got it back from Malcolm so I wanted to post pics.  I definitely wish there was less damage but the size is very impressive to me (about 8 1/2 inches long by 6 inches wide by about 1 inch high), so I really like this guy, especially since it is the first trilobite I found (earlier this year).  The first pic is how it looked when I found it - it was covered in calcite and was barely recognizable (to me, anyway) as a trilobite.  While part of me wishes it WASN'T covered in calcite, the fact that it was a large white-ish rock is what allowed me to find it, and I think the calcite actually protected it somewhat from the elements.  The one side of the trilobite was completely encased in limestone, and Malcolm had to 'liberate it' - I can only attach three pics with this post but I will reply to my post and try to post more pics showing the prepping process.  The second pic is the finished trilobite, with the ruler to show scale.

The last pic has the 'little' 4 1/2" trilobite that I posted earlier in the foreground, to show the scale / size of the larger one.  I am still working on my photographic skills, so sorry for the pic quality.

This was found in Ordovician limestone in the Eganville, Ontario, Canada area.

1 - raw tremolite fossil.jpg

14 - finished trilo from side w ruler.jpg

15 - finished trilo from side w smaller trilo.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Spectacular find! Although the top has some damage the sides are amazing especially for such a large trilobite

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thanks!  Yes, the top has damage - both from the calcite that it was encased in and also from being exposed to the elements, and the head and tail both have damage as well, but the trilobite is fairly intact.  Also, as you said, the sides are amazing, especially the side that was encased in limestone that Malcolm's work revealed...

A shame they had so much damage...Derek should be able to find much better ones there by splitting...

I have tried splitting rock, and as most of you know, it isn't as easy as it sounds.  Plus, I don't really know which rocks to even try to split, but I really enjoy the feeling of finding cool stuff so I am going to keep trying...  I will, of course, share any finds that I come across (although the searching season is almost over, with snow coming...)

Nice find and good prep work @Malcolmt! :thumbsu: 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)