Moroccan Shark tooth ID

fossilsonwheels

This tooth was included in a lot of Moroccan teeth I bought for giveaways awhile back. I have never been able to ID it. I thought Otodus for awhile but I am not sure about that. 

I am not really familiar Parotodus teeth but I did find a couple on line that looked a bit like mine. I think it is a possible ID but I really do not know. 

It is 3/4” and I have no specific location besides Morocco. It was a mixed bag that contained Cretaceous, Paleocene and Eocene teeth. 

Any suggestions? 

10673B99-6AAF-4793-9DA1-68F7F820F187.jpeg

18C47853-F8EE-4364-8D77-B1D8B10654D1.jpeg

0476B0FD-37C1-496F-860D-EC8FBDC0BDD9.jpeg

C2FB9CCE-5773-49E3-BFA3-834B1D1CC5CA.jpeg

My guess would be otodus, but I see the hesitation. There is something there that doesn't line up perfectly with Otodus. :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

This does look similar to ones identified as Moroccan Parotodus.

eo_paro2.thumb.jpeg.355c6f4ccc28be00c965b5ca0671721e.jpeg

eo_paro.jpg.1b2ce77db1e779bbef0c91d914e85e1a.jpg

image.png.31f8500854b9d63c4534385ca2a3cb7d.png

Here's mine:

IMG_0085.thumb.jpeg.9b48e122844cc1acf56396bed75c49c5.jpeg

Yours looks like a lateral. So I tentatively vote Parotodus sp. (pavlovi?). Nice tooth anyhow.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I would say Otodus with a bit of wear to the points at the base. I sell a lot of Otodus teeth and I see a fair few like this so would like to know if I have been miss selling them as I can correct my error!

1 hour ago, mr.cheese said:

I would say Otodus with a bit of wear to the points at the base.

I don't see any indication of significant wear on the cusplets. I am not extremely familiar with Moroccan teeth, so you may ultimately be right. However, from what I've seen, Moroccan Parotodus teeth have small, peg-like or rounded cusplets, or none.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

2 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

I don't see any indication of significant wear on the cusplets. I am not extremely familiar with Moroccan teeth, so you may ultimately be right. However, from what I've seen, Moroccan Parotodus teeth have small, peg-like or rounded cusplets, or none.

I agree that the cusplets don't appear to be worn - just small and less developed.  This tooth does look like what could be a first upper lateral of early Parotodus.

Jess

5 minutes ago, siteseer said:

I agree that the cusplets don't appear to be worn - just small and less developed.  This tooth does look like what could be a first upper lateral of early Parotodus.

Jess

Hi Jess 

I put this under the scope this morning specifically to look at the cusps and they are not broken or worn. Small and not well developed is more accurate than broken or worn. 

Seems to me that Parotodus is a better fit than Otodus. 

Kurt

1 hour ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Hi Jess 

I put this under the scope this morning specifically to look at the cusps and they are not broken or worn. Small and not well developed is more accurate than broken or worn. 

Seems to me that Parotodus is a better fit than Otodus. 

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I'm always a little unclear as to what constitutes an Otodus variation and what's an early Parotodus.  It's a cool tooth in any case.

Jess

I have not studied Parotodus much at all so I could be wrong for sure but for the moment I’ll call it Parotodus. I probably need a deeper dive into Otodus and Parotodus anyway so I’m going study up lol 

I have an update to post about our Chico Formation hunt. Limited success volume wise but super successful if measured by other criteria ! 

Kurt

Thank you for the info, as I hoped I learned a bit more! Seems after looking all the ones I have at the moment are Otodus now I know about the nubs being under developed as apposed to worn! I don't have any suspicious ones at the moment anyway!

teeth.gif