November 2020 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on NOVEMBER 30, 2020

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the topic is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

• Date of Discovery   (month, day , year) 

• Scientific and/or Common Name

• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

• State, Province, or Region Found

• Photos of Find

(Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

• 2 weeks later...

Starting this month with a coral:

The specimen is from “Muschelgraben” (shell creek) in Pöls, Styria, Austria. This locality was one of the first known and certainly the most heavily exploited fossil site in the Langhian/Badenian “Florianer Schichten” of southern Styria in the 19th century. An impressive list with nearly 200 mollusc species was already published in 1878 by Hilber. Outcrops are mostly slightly covered at the moment, but with some light digging (small, one-handed shovel), fossil-bearing layers can be exposed for about 1 m thickness and about 10-20 m lateral extension. However, this colonial coral was found lying loose in the small creek a few meters below the fossil-bearing bed.

Astrea crenulata Goldfuss, 1826 was fist mentioned from this locality by Reuss in 1871. I have already found one at this site during my first visits in 2015. And then again this specimen a few days ago. So, it seems, it is not to be quite rare. I am rather sure its Siderastrea, but not really sure of species.

I am wondering what this coral “is doing” in such a murky and muddy environment. Matrix of the coral and the other fossils is a fine grained sand to silt, soft or somewhat hardened, as in the case of this specimen. Maybe this coral is somewhat more tolerable of murky waters? At least I have found this:

Foster (1980):

“…Siderastrea may have been uniquely adapted for rapid colony growth in turbid, protected environments with abundant suspended organic material.”

And this statement here on TFF:

“Siderastrea corals of today tend to like shallow well-lit sandy bays and lagoons where they can grow to quite substantial sizes”. This is from Ken, aka @digit.

The ”Florianer Schichten" are indeed considered to be deposited in a lagoon or at least in a protect bay. From "Muschelgraben", only Siderstrea is known; but some Dendrophyllum were found occasionally at another site with "Florianer Schichten" a few km away (Fuggaberg near St. Josef).

If you would like to see more and nicer Siderastrea corals (aka fossilized golf balls ;)), have a look here:

Three from TFF:

Siderastrea 1

Siderastrea 2

Siderastrea 3

And one from NHM in Vienna:

Siderastrea 4

Thanks for looking :)!
Franz Bernhard

Found: 11/01/2020

Name: Colonial Coral Siderastrea ?crenulata? (Goldfuss, 1821)

Age and Formation: Langhian/Badenian, Miocene - "Florianer Schichten", Styrian Basin, Eastern Alps

Site: "Muschelgraben", Pöls, Styria, Austria

Siderastrea_PoelsNW_4809_kompr.thumb.jpg.e4d0ef292da2ccfa8d233c9b9957be98.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

Heres a different to me, crinoid for the month. I don't find many of this species, and they are usually broken.

Date of Discovery   (11-7-20) 

• Scientific and/or Common Name- Eutrochocrinus christyi crinoid calyx

• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation- Burlington Formation 

• State, Province, or Region Found- Henry County, Missouri, USA

Not sure why I didn't take pictures of beginning prep with it buried in the encrinite stone, but at least I did remember to take a picture of final cleaning. Unfortunately it's missing about a fifth of the calyx, but it still came out very nice.

20201108_151900.jpg

20201108_170023.jpg

20201108_170042.jpg

20201108_170501.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

Very nice indeed. I've only found columns.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Nice find! I have not bumped into that species before. Where do you go for crinoid ID in the Burlington??

9 hours ago, Jackson g said:

Not sure why I didn't take pictures of beginning prep with it buried in the encrinite stone, but at least I did remember to take a picture of final cleaning.

We often look back in hindsight to think why didn't I do "before" photos to see the transformation. I've gotten pretty good at remembering to take out the camera and get "in situ" photos before I pick up a find as these are always much enjoyed vicariously here on the forum. Often you end up taking photos of things that don't pan out as spectacular finds but then digital "film" is much cheaper than it was in the old days.

At least your find was made in this month so that pre-prep photos were not needed to validate that meaningful preparation was done in the current month. Still, it is nice for others to marvel over the significant difference in appearance some fossils make during their prepping.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

• Date of Discovery   (month, day , year): November, 16, 2020

• Scientific and/or Common Name: Odontopleura ovata

• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Silurian, Ludlow

• State, Province, or Region Found: Prągowiec Ravine, Poland

image.png.c469992475701325d9ff83278e460507.png

image.png.dea0a41b2527950faa5325af2ded5a38.png

image.png.18903cf03d14a3edeb59560aefdbd6a4.png

image.png.79242e549c673c015d0c1045bd997609.png

• I found this Informative 12

13 hours ago, Kasia said:

• Date of Discovery   (month, day , year): November, 16, 2020

• Scientific and/or Common Name: Odontopleura ovata

• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Silurian, Ludlow

• State, Province, or Region Found: Prągowiec Ravine, Poland

Nice find, Kasia! That's a super bug. :trilowalk:

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice find, Kasia! That's a super bug. :trilowalk:

Thanks - I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, because it's enormous comparing to any other Silurian trilo I have ever found in this location. It's at least 3 times bigger than all the other specimens I have - even the other Odontopleuras on the same slab :)

14 hours ago, Kasia said:

Scientific and/or Common Name: Odontopleura ovata

Fantastic find congratulations 

My entry for the month is the Anzu wyliei hand claw I found during my September trip to the Hell Creek Formation.  My preparer just finished the prep so here are before and after photos.  For those not familar with this dinosaur its a genus of caenagnathidae from the late Cretaceous.    Its a toothless dinosaur +3 meter high with long arms and wicked hand claws.

Giant-Oviraptorid.jpg.dc6feff798a4c7617b5e700d883005f7.jpgIMG_0640.thumb.JPG.65ea5f389b74e1e3cdfd585b341d631f.JPG

Anzu wyliei

Hand Claw poss Digit I

Discovered : Sept 23, 2020

Hell Creek Formation 

Cretaceous: Maastrichtian 

Powder River Co. , Montana

P9210255.JPG.3a536897229549e7054f2653d8b4cb14.thumb.jpeg.521789b72770e2ca689ec81efd4a9fd9.jpeg

5fbba0d5cdc7f_AnzuhandClaw.thumb.jpg.f43a6a75b728296e2395a49d6af69830.jpg

• I found this Informative 20

Well I’m gonna throw my hat into the ring here. I’ve been pulling out pieces of Protohadros byrdi locally. It’s ugly and fragmented, but it’s all from the same critter.  Which for around here is almost unheard of. So far I have 2 caudal vertebrae, pubis, rib, portion of a limb bone, scapula, and a few other unidentified pieces. 

So you're probably wondering how I'm able to give an ID based on something that looks like it went through a blender (or in this case, a bulldozer). Well luckily the bones I found give us a rather solid ID. The convex and concave nature of the pubis ventrally and dorsally, the exact match of the scapula regarding shape and angle, the same cross section in rib, and shape of the caudal vertebrae. I've also had a friend who is one of the worlds foremost experts on the Woodbine look at it as well as a paleontologist from the local university and they also concur.

There is also a real lack of diversity of Woodbine fauna (and Appalachia in general it appears). So that helps to narrow down the contenders. But the neat thing about Protohadros is that it's a neat blend of iguanodontid and hadrosaurid characteristics. So this shows in the bones making it quite unique without a real possibility of another potential match. So there you have it! That's why I feel fairly confident labeling this Protohadros byrdi.

Protohadros byrdi

Woodbine Formation

Denton County Texas

A5D201B3-4964-4D85-8D2A-2A9D8EC966F3.png

0B18886C-28C7-49B9-AE5F-02D467C5B550.png

8C039037-6084-4319-8611-57A55A9DAB05.png

5DB5B2B8-B329-4A25-94AC-1117D57AA8C5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 13

Collected Nov. 16, 2020

Heterosalenia sp. echinoid (new species currently being described)

Lower Glen Rose Formation, Lower Cretaceous (Albian)

Comal County, Texas, USA

Size 15mm

JohnJ discovered this species in July, 2013.  It is currently being described by John Jagt in a collaborative project with @JohnJ and @erose.  I have loaned my specimen to their project for photography and data collection, which needless to say, has me completely thrilled. It's being cleaned up a bit, but here is it as I found it after just a rudimentary cleaning. 

5fbd5e9d9652f_EchinoidHeterosalenia(rykyrae).thumb.jpg.967d7dc9e7d187c9f95a019906cefa5c.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

On 11/23/2020 at 7:04 AM, Troodon said:

My entry for the month is the Anzu wyliei hand claw I found during my September trip to the Hell Creek Formation.  My preparer just finished the prep so here are before and after photos.  For those not familar with this dinosaur its a genus of caenagnathidae from the late Cretaceous.    Its a toothless dinosaur +3 meter high with long arms and wicked hand claws.

Anzu wyliei

Hand Claw poss Digit I

Discovered : Sept 23, 2020

Hell Creek Formation 

Cretaceous: Maastrichtian 

Powder River Co. , Montana

5fbba0d5cdc7f_AnzuhandClaw.thumb.jpg.f43a6a75b728296e2395a49d6af69830.jpg

Incredible piece! I’ve wanted one of those since I got into fossils, they’re some of my favorite fossils! 

On 11/24/2020 at 2:28 PM, JamieLynn said:

Collected Nov. 16, 2020

Heterosalenia sp. echinoid (new species currently being described)

Lower Glen Rose Formation, Lower Cretaceous (Albian)

Comal County, Texas, USA

Size 15mm

JohnJ discovered this species in July, 2013.  It is currently being described by John Jagt in a collaborative project with @JohnJ and @erose.  I have loaned my specimen to their project for photography and data collection, which needless to say, has me completely thrilled. It's being cleaned up a bit, but here is it as I found it after just a rudimentary cleaning. 

5fbd5e9d9652f_EchinoidHeterosalenia(rykyrae).thumb.jpg.967d7dc9e7d187c9f95a019906cefa5c.jpg

OK, I'm biased....Ten votes for Jamie's echinoid....Can I do that?

• I found this Informative 2

:heartylaugh::default_rofl:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• Sinistrofulgur roseae (Extinct, Sinistral, Marine Gastropod related to Lighting Whelk "a rarely-seen shell") & Chione elevata (The Florida Cross-barred Venus)
  • Belle Glade Member of the Bermont Formation
  • Ionian, 800,000 years old
  • Cape Coral, Florida, USA
  • 11/16/2020
  • prep (4 hours) a day or two after the find poolside :)

A large, well preserved, fossil Lightning Whelk that I dug up recently 11/16/2020 in Florida full of bivalve shells (Chione elevata). The bleached spot on the back of this large (185mm) whelk is the only part of the shell that was protruding from the ground. I cleaned the sand away from the clam shells with a toothpick and small brush then added a little glue in strategic spots. Found while on a walk around the neighborhood around 7am in the morning (79F). It was found with other fossil shells in a patch of bare ground along the roadside. 

More pics/info here.

20201116_101845 (2).jpg

20201119_074114.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Very, very nice. I guess I should spend more time looking down. It might also keep me from stumbling as much as I do. :unsure:

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Date of Discovery/Recovery: 7/31/20

Scientific and/or Common Name: Schizodelphis morckhoviensis, partial skull

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Eastover Formation, 5.5 MYA

State, Province, or Region Found: Virginia

Found by: Aaron Alford (@Sharkdoctor)

Recovered by: @sharkdoctor @Gizmo

Prepared by: Mike Ellwood

Donated to: Calvert Marine Museum

Before prep:

5fc51c1e5aa6c_Beforeprep11_18_20(2).thumb.jpg.c1c291b80f40ca870874eca16f1686be.jpg

During prep, in jacket:

5fc51b2240f26_prep1injacket.thumb.jpg.0141bbe5b1af54156d6363a454e23332.jpg

After prep:

5fc51bc05e064_FinalSchizodelphismorckhoviensis.thumb.jpg.79c57ddec2de4cd3af6125d9ef945ecf.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

• digit unfeatured this topic