Caseodus shark jaw

PetrolPete

Went on a fossil hunt with Forum member Conostichus yesterday near Oologah, OK at a site suspected to be in the the Excello shale, Pennsylvanian age. I found a jaw that looks like some one the [suspected] edestus jaws I’ve found out there, but this one looked different. This looks like it has teeth along it (first pic) and the teeth (Although heavily worn) look like caseodus. What do you think?

E9050A3C-802C-463E-ADF2-285F1864AAF8.jpeg

F567759D-AE66-40F1-8BF1-5CB380600A85.jpeg

88AD4D9F-5F37-4DCF-8C29-95BF3B75BFDD.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Here is another dentition my girlfriend found at the same site a couple months ago. Possibly also caseodus?

E8E5D820-8F54-47E2-BB36-C0DAC5B7A436.jpeg

209B36AF-5BAA-4F9B-A322-BF665EBB26FC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

13 minutes ago, Archie said:

These are incredible finds! Maybe Campodus rather than Caseodus? 

Could very well be, I still get a number of the -odus shark teeth confused. The only reason I was thinking caseodus rather than campodus was that Bill May wrote a paper on the exposure and has identified caseodus there, but not campodus [yet]

• I found this Informative 1

Whoa very nice and surprisingly 3D. You considered swinging those by the Sam Noble Museum and asking if they have any use for them?

39 minutes ago, jdp said:

Whoa very nice and surprisingly 3D. You considered swinging those by the Sam Noble Museum and asking if they have any use for them?

Yes, I plan to contact Bill May who is a research associate at Sam Noble and who I worked with when he wrote a paper on the site. In general, most of the other vertebrate paleo guys I've met there don't really deal in material this old.

Awesome. Yes, the SNOMNH doesn't really have any Paleozoic fish people. Bill should be able to get you in touch with someone like Mike Coates or Matt Friedman who would be likely to have an interest in this material.