Spinosaurus Vert

Finnlfc19

I'm always looking to add to my collection and noticed something claiming to be a spinosaur vertebra from the Kem Kem beds. I've never seen one for sale before, so I don't know how plausible it is that it is a true spino vert. Apparently weighs 216g and is 67mm long. Description claims all pieces sold are genuine and a full refund would be issued if a recognised museum authority expressed doubt. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

1ADO.jpg

Nope sorry,

Spinosaur verts are offered on the market fairly regularly. But this does not match spinosaur at all.

This is much too fat and chunky for spinosaurs. The posterior cervical vertebrae on spinosaurs are similarly fat, but it doesn't match that in other anatomical features. For spinosaur there should be only one big pneumatic foramina on each side instead of two. And there shouldn't be such a large attachment for the ribs.

What this looks like, is a cervical vertebra of a big croc. There are a number of crocodillomorphs in the Kem Kem group. But at this large size there would be less options. Elosuchus cherifiensis would be one of those options.

Nice vert tho.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Every bone sold from the Kem Kem seems to belong to a Spinosaurus unfortunately most are not. 

Agree with LordTrilobite this is a cervical from a big croc.

You should have no problem buying a Spino vert but like you are doing have it checked out lots of misidentifications out there.  Be patient check out auction sites 

• I found this Informative 2

Agreed to many sellers just slap spinosaurus on everything they have regardless if they are big or small business. Very interesting about the double formania being on crocodile cervical verts.

If it is a genuine vert I may see if I can pick it up for a cheap price, even though it isn't a spinosaur vert. Thank you for your help!

Just now, Finnlfc19 said:

Anyone know where I may be able to find a genuine spino vert?

Recommendations can only be made via PM.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Found another 'spinosaurus' vert up online so I'm back again to ask if its likely genuine haha. Seller claims it is from a young spino (I don't know how plausible finds from juveniles are) and is partially restored...not so sure about this one

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

While I'm here the seller of the spinosaur vert is also selling what he claims to be plesiosaur fin...apparently found in the atlantic ocean by fishermen (seems unlikely), from a small museum collection and apparently shows bite marks and scars to the fin. I was fairly sure plesiosaur fins consisted of many smaller bones rather than one large one that supposedly weights 2kg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

That vertebra is missing the most important part the centrum.  Its just the processes of some unidentifiable critter.  Again avoid..  You need to shop elsewhere.

I attached a photo of a paddle.

20190922_034715.thumb.jpg.ea68a325c8326cbdca68b956dcb09a40.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Finnlfc19 said:

Found another 'spinosaurus' vert up online so I'm back again to ask if its likely genuine haha. Seller claims it is from a young spino (I don't know how plausible finds from juveniles are) and is partially restored...not so sure about this one

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpg

That's the neural arch of a cervical vertebra. I would say likely Spinosaur posterior cervical vert, but would need to see the top and side to be more sure.
Regardless of ID it looks like a nice piece.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite