Jackson g

Goodmorning/ afternoon all!

Being a middle aged 20 year old, I've outgrown the need to go trick or treating for candy on Halloween. This year, my brother and I were supposed to have my nephew over for the weekend. We had originally planned some fun activities for the little guy (he's 4) as real trick or treating was out of the question this year. Turns out this week that 4 of his day care workers came down with the Covid, so he's now in quarantine at his mom's house for 3 (her choice, she won't budge) weeks. All alone for Saturday now, I decided to go out and look for the real treats, fossils!

I started by going to my first and favorite honey hole, knowing the site wouldn't be the best to collect currently. Fluctuations in water levels determine how ideal this location is, and the waters been very low this year. While this being a good thing, it's also been so low for some time that overgrowth has had more time to come in. This just makes it more of a pain to scope around, but for me that just means going down to the hands and knees.

20201101_084408.jpg

There were some spots where it wasn't as bad, but all of the ideal scrap spots required patience and sifting through.

20201101_084640.jpg

Not sure why, but I only took one picture in situ this time. Glad I did, because it was a nicer, plump blastoid! It only required a bit of digging around the rock, and prep should be easy peasy on this guy.

20201101_085127.jpg

For the first fossil hunt in a while for me, I would say that yesterday was a successful day out. I only take nicer, complete specimens now a days. I hauled home a nice Globoblastus norwoodi blastoid, an Uperocrinus pyriformis crinoid, a Platycrinites? calyx, and a nice little brachiopod I still need to ID.

20201101_090335.jpg

Heres everything cleaned/ prepped besides the Uperocrinus. I may just leave it as is, but something in me tells me I'll do detail work someday on it. I trimmed down the matrix and half prepped the blastoid. I think this one will stay like it is in matrix. I remove most of the calyxs from the rock, but figured it would be cool to keep a couple of fossils in their rock setting.

20201101_083030.jpg

20201101_083111.jpg

20201101_082905.jpg

20201101_082952.jpg

20201101_082833.jpg

20201101_085314.jpg

The hour I spent out fossil hunting was much needed. This past month has only entailed packing up possessions, moving on, and working. Getting out was nice and much needed. Now I have some more fossils to pack up. ;) Hope everyone had a fun, and safe Halloween. 

Regards, Jackson

• I found this Informative 17

That Uperocrinus looks magnificent! 

Fossils are much better than candy, although only a dentist looking for more business would recommend putting fossils in your mouth. :P 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Jackson g said:

the Uperocrinus. I may just leave it as is

Great finds!!!  As a personal preference, I leave my Mississippian crinoids in the matrix most of the time as the matrix has a nice visual appeal. The specimen can always be removed later if need be. 

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

Nice finds Jackson! Maybe next year I’ll hand out fossil instead of candy. 

glad to see you got in another hunt before your move. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice finds and prep work!  I especially like the Globoblastus norwood - it's really pretty! :wub:

On 11/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, Kane said:

That Uperocrinus looks magnificent! 

Fossils are much better than candy, although only a dentist looking for more business would recommend putting fossils in your mouth. :P 

Funny you say that, because I just took a trip to the dentist last week. After 1700$ spent and 4 teeth being removed, I'd say the dentist has gotten enough business from me for the year!

Those echinoderms are awesome! Congratulations!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Ended up going out to the same location yesterday (11-7-20) for another hour. I figured I'd just add along to this post and share the finds, rather than make another.

20201107_171910.jpg

Macrocrinus verneuilianus (freed of calcitic limestone)

20201107_172204.jpg

20201107_172232.jpg

Small, but very nice Holocephalan tooth plate (deltodus?)

20201108_082617.jpg

Brachiopod (cleaning in progress)

20201108_083616.jpg

Sliver of a Fenestella bryozoan

20201108_154557.jpg

20201108_154647.jpg

Azygocrinus rotundus 

20201108_154534.jpg

Unknown crinoid bulb

20201108_170501.jpg

20201108_170042.jpg

20201108_170023.jpg

20201108_170626.jpg

A very nice, mostly complete Eutrochocrinus christyi crinoid. Proud on how nice I prepped this sucker out, even though it's missing about a fifth of the calyx. Finished final cleaning on the 8th for the unknown bulb, Azygocrinus, and the Eutrochocrinus even though they were found yesterday too.

I also found this large calyx outline, though I didn't take it. It looks like half was still possibly inside of the limestone. If anyone is familiar with the species by the look, please let me know as I'm unfamiliar with it.

20201108_171105.jpg