Lourinha theropod tooth

gigantoraptor

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this tiny theropod tooth. I would already be very happy with a family level.

Tooth measures 6 mm and is serrated. The very tip is missing, but otherwise pretty complete. It was found in the Upper Jurassic Lourinha formation of Portugal.

This is the best quality I can take with my phone through my microscope.

What do you all think? :) Thanks in advance.

image.png.1b84d3bf7c4dab5330a1afd4f7ddf3fc.pngimage.png.7288c6c7937d81afeeb1c7b84fa09f5b.png

I does it have serrations on both carinae that can be measured.  How far down does the mesial carina extend toward the base?

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I does it have serrations on both carinae that can be measured.  How far down does the mesial carina extend toward the base?

It does have about 10 denticles/mm on the mesial carina (halfway). On the other side the serrations are a bit more worn, so I only have about 4-5 for half a mm (near bottom of the tooth). Does this helps

So its fair to say both are about 10/mm.  What about the travel on the mesial edge ?  Not sure I will get you an answer beyond indeterminate but will check my references

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

So its fair to say both are about 10/mm.  What about the travel on the mesial edge ?

Denticles stop about here. They might be worn down further but this is about as fas as I can see them.

image.png.7b098926ee3518b589a1b63d5cf2e503.png

Nothing in my reference sources that come close to this tooth and it size is typically not what you see in publications.  Let me suggest you contact Christophe Hendrickx and see if he would comment on it.   Provide him all the info and he might get you an answer.  Please let us know what he says. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Nothing in my reference sources that come close to this tooth and it size is typically not what you see in publications.  Let me suggest you contact Christophe Hendrickx and see if he would comment on it.   Provide him all the info and he might get you an answer.  Please let us know what he says. 

Hello Frank

Thanks for the advise, but last time I asked him for help he told me he doesn't ID fossils from the market. 

Are there any other Paleontologists that might know more about this tooth?

Oh yea remember you telling me that but I know he's ID teeth from several other members.   He's the real theropod tooth expert of Portugal.  Try again and just tell him someone gave you this tooth and just trying to get a better understanding of it.   

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Oh yea remember you telling me that but I know he's ID teeth from several other members.   He's the real theropod tooth expert of Portugal.  Try again and just tell him someone gave you this tooth and just trying to get a better understanding of it.   

Great, I'll try again.

Appreciate the help. Thank you Frank:)

@Troodon, I got An answer from him. 

While he isn't completely sure, since the tooth is a bit worn and I couldn't include any pictures of the denticle shape, this tooth reminds him of the lateral Teeth of the piatnitzkysaurid Marshosaurus. Given it's size it might be a juvenile. I'm very happy with this possible ID.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions:)

• I found this Informative 1