Asteroidea (starfish) from Ordovician of Pennsylvania

traveltip1

Saturday dawned a bit chilly, but the sun peeped out from lingering clouds to brighten a stellar day of fossil prospecting in the Ordovician bedrock of central  Pennsylvania. We strolled along the limestone ground, like beachcombers peering in shallow shore waters, when my relatively newbie friend exclaimed, "That looks like a starfish!"

Bingo...Indeed it was an Asteroidea. 

I'm guessing it's genus Urasterellaand I wonder how rare is this find.

The specimen's longest ray is 1.75 inches (4.45 cm).

Photos are the rock slab and a closeup of the mostly complete starfish, as found.

20201101_075145.jpg

20201101_231524.jpg

• I found this Informative 21

:DittoSign:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:wub::drool::envy:

Emojis are worth a thousand words! Great find. Congrats! 

:yay-smiley-1:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I'm like @Monica i'd like very much to find one, for now i just found ossicles.:tiphat:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Awesome find! Congratulations!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

cool.  I don 't know anything about this formation, but I suspect it is a pretty rare find.  In general, starfish fossils are rare.

• I found this Informative 1

I literally just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard and screen when the photo loaded. This is one of the best I have seen in years.

I agree with Don, more fomration data would be awesome to see! (without giving away your huntin' spot of course!)

Spectacular find..it might even benefit from a bit of a clean up if you know someone with the right equipment. You would need to be very careful though as the details on these guys are easily destroyed.

12 hours ago, traveltip1 said:

I'm guessing it's genus Urasterellaand I wonder how rare is this find.

" The fossil record for starfish is ancient, dating back to the Ordovician around 450 million years ago, but it is rather sparse, as starfish tend to disintegrate after death. Only the ossicles and spines of the animal are likely to be preserved, making remains hard to locate. " 

• I found this Informative 2

I received an expert opinion that the genus is likely Urasterella. 

1 hour ago, Creek - Don said:

" The fossil record for starfish is ancient, dating back to the Ordovician around 450 million years ago, but it is rather sparse, as starfish tend to disintegrate after death. Only the ossicles and spines of the animal are likely to be preserved, making remains hard to locate. " 

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Spectacular find..it might even benefit from a bit of a clean up if you know someone with the right equipment. You would need to be very careful though as the details on these guys are easily destroyed.

Agreed. This one is special enough I'd pay a pro for the prep.

Ridiculously cool fossil. The conditions that made it possible to be preserved were rare. I would go back and scour that site looking for that particular bedding plane. Could be more!