Odd Mineral Formation in SW Utah - with a preserved root inside?

warbeard_Actual

Hello! First of all, I am not a geologist. This isn't my field of work. I am hoping somebody here can help me with this! 

Today I drove a few miles southeast of St George UT and into AZ. This place is amazing. Fossils everywhere. Just incredible stuff. Was out looking for crystals and whatnot... And unearthed these... 

Looking to what it is, a guess maybe on how old, and HOPEFULLY an explanation of what the small "hair looking" matter is. It looks like a root, and hair, I actually have no idea but this thing was entirely underground and inside this chunk of material that came apart. So whatever it was, it's been there for a while. So cool! 

Added a quick snapshot of the Gaia app. Coordinates for the area 36.948968,-113.471321

Any help would be much appreciated! 

IMG_20201101_153615863-picsay.jpg

IMG_20201101_153552992-picsay.jpg

IMG_20201101_143903686-picsay.jpg

IMG_20201101_143856538-picsay.jpg

22 minutes ago, warbeard_Actual said:

HOPEFULLY an explanation of what the small "hair looking" matter is.

Lichen is my first guess. 

• I found this Informative 1

I would surmise that the "hair" is plant material. The mineral appears to be botryoidal calcite. The rock itself looks almost like a tuffite or similar formation. Is it lightweight?

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I would surmise that the "hair" is plant material. The mineral appears to be botryoidal calcite.

:DittoSign:

No fossil.

5 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I would surmise that the "hair" is plant material. The mineral appears to be botryoidal calcite. The rock itself looks almost like a tuffite or similar formation. Is it lightweight?

Intermixed with much heavier crystals, no. But yes the almost "bubbly" looking parts are pretty lightweight and extremely fragile! 

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

For comparison.

IMG_5232a.jpg

So it may be this type of plant is what you're saying. This is really fascinating stuff to me. In another life I'd have been a geologist.

1 minute ago, warbeard_Actual said:

So it may be this type of plant is what you're saying.

So long as you don't read fossil into it. 

I think it is likely only "preserved" in the sense that they are quite tolerant of extreme environments. 

Plant roots can have a similar appearance. A closer (microscopic) study may be needed to be certain.

• I found this Informative 2

Hello,

Are there any hot springs close to where you found this?

Calcite (or aragonite?) may form around anything including plant matter relatively quickly in hot springs. the dark streaks visible where the specimen below is fractured are plant matter for sure (at least they are still combustible, I tried)

The fiber or root in your picture looks as if it grew after the formation of the crystals though, as it is not enclosed in them.

Best regards,

J

CIMG4333.JPG

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

3 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hello,

Are there any hot springs close to where you found this?

Calcite (or aragonite?) may form around anything including plant matter relatively quickly in hot springs. the dark streaks visible where the specimen below is fractured are plant matter for sure (at least they are still combustible, I tried)

The fiber or root in your picture looks as if it grew after the formation of the crystals though, as it is not enclosed in them.

Best regards,

J

CIMG4333.JPG

There aren't hot springs nearby. The other side of the piece has a lot of crystal. Both are pretty abundant on the piece, you just can't see that. 

This particular piece I did excavate. And that piece of black "plant looking" material was between more crystal and calcite. 

9 minutes ago, warbeard_Actual said:

There aren't hot springs nearby. The other side of the piece has a lot of crystal. Both are pretty abundant on the piece, you just can't see that. 

This particular piece I did excavate. And that piece of black "plant looking" material was between more crystal and calcite. 

Sounds like you have essentially a fragment of an aquifer. They filter out things like plant parts.

I see a truly magnificent calcite/gypsum/etc. type specimen. As for the hairy bit, that's just a bit of extant root. A lot of desert plants will go deep and the geologic conditions are good for  geologically short-termpreservation, but I see no fossil.

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

I see a truly magnificent calcite/gypsum/etc. type specimen. As for the hairy bit, that's just a bit of extant root. A lot of desert plants will go deep and the geologic conditions are good for  geologically short-termpreservation, but I see no fossil.

I thought so too! Our earth is truly amazing. What can you guys tell me about these ones? Found at a rim/shelf just outside of the grand canyon NP. They look like shells of some sort, much more robust material, and very old it seems. The next time we go we're going to return them and look for others to borrow for a bit :)

IMG_20201102_114254926-picsay.jpg

IMG_20201102_114353098-picsay.jpg

IMG_20201102_114404722-picsay.jpg

57 minutes ago, warbeard_Actual said:

I thought so too! Our earth is truly amazing. What can you guys tell me about these ones? Found at a rim/shelf just outside of the grand canyon NP. They look like shells of some sort, much more robust material, and very old it seems. The next time we go we're going to return them and look for others to borrow for a bit :)

IMG_20201102_114254926-picsay.jpg

IMG_20201102_114353098-picsay.jpg

IMG_20201102_114404722-picsay.jpg

I see some excellent brachiopods. I have some similar from other spots around the US. Admittedly, I am awful at brach IDs.

It's a spiny productid from the Carboniferous or Permian, by the look of it. 

I wouldn't like to chance guessing which genus. 

Jolly nice, though! :b_love1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png