What is this? Found at Big Brook, NJ (Late Cretaceous)

Blakey

I recently found this at Big Brook in NJ, USA. I am not sure what this is. The outer layer appears to have a spiral formation towards one end. It's just about 1 inch long (maybe a little less). Thanks for any help!

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

To me it resembles a gastropod shell but as far as an ID on specie or genus I don't know,

1.1 Gastropoda Shell Form | Digital Atlas of Ancient Life

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Looks like a coprolite to me. 

@Carl  @frankh8147

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

After taking a second look, it does look like coprolite, it doesn't have the texture or the sharpness of a shell. My bad

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Thanks for all of the information. The two things that I find odd about this fossil are

1) it has a smooth "scoop" shape on one end (best documented in the first photo).

2) the surface pattern/texture almost resembles wood.  

Coprolites come in all shapes and sizes, many things could have happened to it when it was still fresh, maybe a rock fell on the one end creating the flattened scoop.

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like a coprolite to me also.

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

Thanks for all of the information. The two things that I find odd about this fossil are

1) it has a smooth "scoop" shape on one end (best documented in the first photo).

2) the surface pattern/texture almost resembles wood.  

What you have is a coprolite.

• I found this Informative 4

: )

• 3 weeks later...

Arriving late as well. That is simple a superb spiral coprolite! Nice find. And although shark is the most likely producer for the setting it was found in, it could also be from a ray, coelacanth, sawfish, bowfin, sturgeon, lungfish, gar, or chimaeroid - all of these fish have spiral intestines and have been recovered in the Cretaceous of NJ.

• I found this Informative 4