Hiya everyone needing help with this piece of amber

Georgemckenzie

Hiya everyone thinking of getting this small piece of amber says there’s a fly in it just wanting to know if it’s real there’s no information on age or that but the seller has sold me a real fossil so a little help would be great thanks 

86AC9F09-FF34-44AE-A662-0B63AAA9A307.png

Cropped and brightened:

86AC9F09-FF34-44AE-A662-0B63AAA9.jpg

86AC9F09-FF34-44AE-A662-0B63AAA22.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks like amber, but could be copal. No real way to tell by picture between the 2. As for the fly, I highly doubt anyone would fake an inclusion using a fly of any sort. Fake inclusions tend to be more "flashy". So nothing about whether it's Baltic, Dominican, Burmese or any other of the ambers? The seller should at least know which amber it is. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

If the seller could shine it with UV light to confirm that its amber then I believe you're good to go. Other than that, it's not really possible to determine if it is copal or amber.

• I found this Informative 2

If possible you could ask the seller to shine a UV light on it, amber fluorenes but copal doesn't

• I found this Informative 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Just now, Paleostoric said:

If the seller could shine it with UV light to confirm that its amber then I believe you're good to go. Other than that, it's not really possible to determine if it is copal or amber.

You posted that right before 

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

2 hours ago, Paleostoric said:

it's not really possible to determine if it is copal or amber.

Copal is soluble in acetone, amber is not. A small drop on a specimen's polished surface, allow to evaporate, touch with a tissue; if sticky, it's copal, if not, amber. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Try putting the amber in salt-saturated water (about 2.5 tablespoons per 1 cup water). A fake will sink and true amber will float. 

@Randyw :DOH: Well admonished. To provide a worthwhile response one should closely consider the entirety of the initial inquiry.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

On 11/2/2020 at 7:39 PM, Randyw said:

@snolly50 @T. nepaeolicus Those would work except he doesn’t have the piece yet. He says he’s thinking about getting it. @Paleostoric and @Top Trilo both have excellent suggestions if the seller will co-operate.

Surely its not that hard to ask to put the amber in a little water?

11 hours ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

On 03/11/2020 at 12:39 AM, Randyw said:

@snolly50 @T. nepaeolicus Those would work except he doesn’t have the piece yet. He says he’s thinking about getting it. @Paleostoric and @Top Trilo both have excellent suggestions if the seller will co-operate.

On 02/11/2020 at 6:23 PM, Top Trilo said:

If possible you could ask the seller to shine a UV light on it, amber fluorenes but copal doesn't

Thanks everyone for the reply’s I’ve not had a lot of spare time to reply but I won the piece at auction it went for quite below the price u normally see them so I will do some tests once I get the piece and let u all know 

11 hours ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

Little update for everyone the seller said he thinks it’s Baltic but said definitely older than cretaceous, little confusing though as I’ve heard Baltic amber is 38-40 million year old 

On 02/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, Top Trilo said:

You posted that right before

7 hours ago, Georgemckenzie said:

Little update for everyone the seller said he thinks it’s Baltic but said definitely older than cretaceous, little confusing though as I’ve heard Baltic amber is 38-40 million year old 

Ya baltic amber is more recent than the cretaceous, unless he got it mixed up with other amber like burmese amber from Myanmar (Burma) which is from the cretaceous. And amber from before the cretaceous is rare

There has been amber found in the Heiligkreuz Formation of Cortina, northeastern Italy that dates back to the Triassic. But yeah, if the seller is saying Cretaceous, that would most likely make it Burmese amber. Although other locations have yielded amber from the Cretaceous as well.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.