Parking Lot Paredolia?

HVEMND

I live in Central Wisconsin and have been finding several interesting looking rocks in scattered among landscaping in a parking lot. Here's one of the stranger ones. Total length is about 7 cm.  Detail shot is of bottom of specimen. I've also made a 3d scan and uploaded to Sketchfab.

I can provide more pictures by request.  Thank you for your time!

Artboard 1 copy 2.jpg

Artboard 1 copy 3.jpg

Artboard 1 copy 4.jpg

Artboard 1 copy.jpg

Artboard 1.jpg

Edited by HVEMND

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Sorry, but I am seeing a rock here.  :unsure: 

No bilateral symmetry, no bone texture, no scale morphology.  :shakehead:

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Chertified bryozoan? to me but has nothing to do with the shape. Not sure chertified is a word but silicified doesn't seem to work as well.

• I found this Informative 1

I think bryozoans are better builders, and it's not plumbed right to be bone. So until a better explanation comes along rock sounds like it.

Thanks for the replys! I realize the top view is at a pretty bad angle and you can't really see any bilateral symmetry, here are some different frontal views that exhibit it a bit more. Kind of hard to do it justice with pictures.  First two images are looking straight on about halfway down the length of specimen, third image is lower frontal view.  I have some microsopy images too I'll get together

20201008_060500.jpg

20201008_060501.jpg

img044.jpg

I only see quartzite. I bet this one will give some niece piezoelectric flashes when struck against the same.

• I found this Informative 2

Your images are very good.  Landscaping rocks and gravels are typically chosen for their resistance to erosion.  It doesn't work out well if those stones weather away in a few years.  Thus, most landscaping gravel is comprised of quartz based rocks.  

Your piece has all the characteristics of just that...a piece of botryoidal quartz / chalcedony.

chert skull.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I was going along saying rock rock rock until you showed the bottom field.  I have no idea,  the possibility  of bryozoan is interesting, an inpression of coral perhaps roughly similar to what I picture below.    I really dont know what it is, but I would be keeping it.  What do you know of the orgin of these landscaping stones.

IMG_0379.jpg

I considered  pleurodictyum, but if it was too much information has been lost to be certain of it in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I considered  pleurodictyum, but if it was too much information has been lost to be certain of it in my opinion.

I think that you may very well  correct.  Looking at the picture from wikipedia his fossil looks like a mold down to the "braided cord pattern around the base of each projection.  

330px-Pleurodictyum_americanum_Kashong.jpg

5fa053bd978bc_Artboard1copy4.thumb.jpg.35ac0d2f14f04920b525c5089eefe207.jpg

3 hours ago, 10313horn said:

I think that you may very well  correct.  Looking at the picture from wikipedia his fossil looks like a mold down to the "braided cord pattern around the base of each projection.

It's quite possible. Coral is often preserved in a shallow window where less mobile minerals were able to penetrate. They can weather out looking distinct from the matrix that deeper or shallower layers are lost to.

22 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Sorry, but I am seeing a rock here.  :unsure: 

No bilateral symmetry, no bone texture, no scale morphology.  :shakehead:

:DittoSign:

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response and thanks for the info!  I'm going to upload some of the other rocks I've found so to differentiate the last will be Specimen 0.  This will be specimen 1. Top top.thumb.jpg.948c699ae18548f485420315251f5061.jpg

Bottom bottom.thumb.jpg.798771742fd91d404abca6c50ceaf062.jpg

Edited by HVEMND